Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 6th June 2018, 06:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

GEDmatch Eurogenes K12 and North Amerindian

So GEDmatch has shown definite "North Amerindian" for a part of 15th Chromosome.

I've also checked some other calculators about that part and the World22 one was very uncertain and not really showing anything but a small mixture of several American and North European breeds. Other global calculators were also showing American or Asian at the mentioned part.

Does it mean that I have a certain Native American ancestor? If so, my bet would be on Greenland, because it was not that isolated from Europe in Middle Ages, and there were Vikings and there was slave trading...

EDIT: I'm talking about the "Chromosome Painting". Can anyone with north European origins check theirs at 15th chromosome around "30M"? Maybe it is common?
Old 6th June 2018, 08:38 PM
FTDNA Customer

What we would really like to know is exactly what SNP at that location is supposed to be indicative of Native American ancestry, and what its actual frequency is in various populations. More generally, where does information of this type used in admixture algorithms come from? Is it based on measurements of SNP frequencies (population genetics studies), or is it inferred by statistical analysis of "reference groups" generated through principal components analysis or some similar multivariate statistical analysis?
Old 7th June 2018, 02:43 AM
FTDNA Customer

Geturðu að tala ensku? Can you speak English?

I just checked the "Chromosome Painting" and it marked the part as almost obvious "Native American" (something like 98% Native American, 1% Scandinavian 1% British)
Old 7th June 2018, 04:14 AM
FTDNA Customer

I believe he did speak English to you...

I wouldn't think too much of this Amerindian component. It is likely not accurate.
Old 7th June 2018, 10:16 AM
FTDNA Customer

but how can it be inaccurate? If I understand correctly, from the tested population, it was found mostly amongst Native Americans, right?

And also, it is not just one test suggesting that. Another one suggests either "Native American" or "South Asia". So I'm more likely to believe I'm American, than Asian...
Old 7th June 2018, 11:25 AM
FTDNA Customer

The issue I am raising is that most of us, at least, have no way of knowing how accurate chromosome painting is. We don't know what SNP's have been selected as "informative" of ethnic origins, nor how predictive they actually are. Even if particular SNP's have been found, by someone, to be more frequent in a particular "reference group", we don't know what the sample size was, nor what the frequency of any of the selected SNP's is in other "reference groups" or in diverse human populations generally. We have no basis to evaluate the methodology.

There have been many different attempts at "admixture algorithms", yielding extremely diverse results, and I think it is reasonable to expect that results for individual chromosome segments, which must be based on a small subset of SNP's, will, on average, show even more variation across different versions of the algorithms. I am arguing for more transparency, more data, and especially, some independent attempts to assess the performance of the admixture algorithms, including chromosome painting. Some time ago, Ancestry issued a "white paper" discussing the development of their own admixture algorithm, including some approaches to validation -- a good first step, but not followed up, as far as I know, with hard data.
Old 7th June 2018, 02:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

Well, Native American DNA is always doubtful, though seems like it was more than just 1 test from more than just 1 projects that suggested Native American. Can't they be conspiring?
Old 7th June 2018, 02:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Does it mean that I have a certain Native American ancestor?
No. It shows up in people (like me) with Sami and/or Finnish ancestors

Last edited by Ivar Kristensen; 7th June 2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 7th June 2018, 05:19 PM
FTDNA Customer

Well, I am more likely to have Greenlandic ancestors than Suomi, so...

Well, must say that I have the north Norwegian/Swedish kind of appearance, so maybe some Suomi ancestry too
Old 7th June 2018, 06:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

you're icelandic, right?