Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 3rd April 2018, 10:45 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audela View Post
Could be that Iberian is interpreted as Sephardic?
I think it's likely picking up what FTDNA assigns as North Africa, Southeast Europe, and Asia Minor. FTDNA also seems to have trouble separating North African from West Middle East with some of my family members. It alternates back and forth I have tested three generations. There are also Levantine Y-DNA and mtDNA in some of my distant cousins that don't match Jewish people. It's a blend of all the North African and Middle Eastern populations that lived on the Iberian peninsula the last 2,000 years or so and includes the New Christian lines that were absorbed from forced conversions about 500 years ago or so. I think it's just to complex from many different sources and so distant that these ethnicity estimate tests may never sort it out in a way that is meaningful.

This is her FTDNA MyOrigins estimate.
Attached Images
File Type: png FTDNA.PNG (80.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 4th April 2018, 10:43 AM
FTDNA Customer

Well, someone posted this on a FB group. It's an excerpt of an email he received from MyHeritage: "Currently Sephardic Jewish is an Ethnicity not currently in our database yet but we are continuously growing our database so this could be added in the future."
Weird… In any case, their estimates don't seem to be accurate at all. For ie, they gave me 25% English when I have absolutely no English ancestry, and they didn't pick up any of my French. Moving on…
Old 4th April 2018, 12:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Well, someone posted this on a FB group. It's an excerpt of an email he received from MyHeritage: "Currently Sephardic Jewish is an Ethnicity not currently in our database yet but we are continuously growing our database so this could be added in the future."
Weird… In any case, their estimates don't seem to be accurate at all. For ie, they gave me 25% English when I have absolutely no English ancestry, and they didn't pick up any of my French. Moving on…
It is not easy to find a Sephardic group. Unlike Ashkenazis, there are few if any individuals who are mainly Sephardic. The key problem is admixture with host countries. Sample patterns vary with host country patterns
Old 4th April 2018, 12:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Deep ancestry is an interesting conversation topic, but as you probably learned by now, the results are good on the continental level.

Let's consider Normandy, would you like people from there to be French or Vikings (Nordic)?

What about Brittany, should people from there be French or British (after all it was settled by the original Britons)?

I hope you had smiled reading the above questions

Mr. W.

Last edited by dna; 4th April 2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 5th April 2018, 02:38 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
Deep ancestry is an interesting conversation topic, but as you probably learned by now, the results are good on the continental level.

Let's consider Normandy, would you like people from there to be French or Vikings (Nordic)?
Tough question. What makes a nation, after all? It's more than dna, that's for sure.

But personally, I'd like them to be Vikings :-)

Quote:
What about Brittany, should people from there be French or British (after all it was settled by the original Britons)?
In my (very subjective) opinion, and at the risk of infuriating the Bretons who might read this thread, I'd say they're too rude to be British, so I'd classify them as French.