Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 16th November 2016, 05:46 AM
FTDNA Customer

Question British isles - a hint where to look for my unknown great(great)grandfathers?

I've always considered myself a German until I started with genealogy. Turns out that almost 2/3 of my mother's family are of Polish descent. And I can't speak Polish

My myOrigin results are:
94% European, split into
54% Eastern European
40% British Isles

6% Middle Eastern (who knew!) - it is 6% Asia Minor (Gedmatch splits it again, into 3% South Asian and 3% West Asian)

My father's paternal grandfather is unknown. He would have been staying at Lake Constance for some time around 1930.
My mom's father's maternal grandfather is also unknown, probably from the region of Gdansk, around 1919.
One of them could've been a British sailor, right? How else could one explain the high percentage of "British Isles"?
some 12.5% of my ancestors have Swabian ancestry and they are from parts of Germany where the Celts lived, but would that result in 40% British Isles?
I almost feared my mom had some 'splaining to do...but then I have a few matches on FTDNA that clearly belong on my father's side. *phew*
Old 16th November 2016, 06:03 AM
FTDNA Customer

Smile Rather diverse, but mainly European results

Here are my husband's myOrigin results:
Everyone considered him "German", his family is told to have been living in the same region for several hundred years...there is one illegitimate child in his direct family line, from then on these ancestors looked like Italians... Oh boy. But he looks rather like a Viking, blondish hair and a red beard

So, my husband still was rather astonished when he looked at this results:
98% European and 2% Middle Eastern (Asia Minor).

The European part is split into:
38% British Isles
28% Scandinavia (VIKINGS! YESSS!)
25% Southern European (Italians, I tell you!)
7% Eastern European

So, could the "British Isles"-part just stand for Celtic German heritage?
Plus, looking at his family tree, the Scandinavian influence might date back to ancestors several hundred years ago because we haven't found them yet. My husband's hometown is close to an area which was invaded by the Vikings as they went upstream the river Rhine. Maybe some of them just decided to stay there ;-)
Old 24th November 2016, 05:45 PM
FTDNA Customer

My results

FTDNA My Origins:

– 49% Southern Europe
– 24% Western and Central Europe
– 23% British Isles
– 2% Scandinavia
– 2% Asia Minor

More recently, I got the following “Geno 2.0 Next Generation” results which seem more accurate than the “FTDNA” results since I have not any known British origin in my family:

– 53% Western and Central Europe
– 47% Southern Europe

Reference Populations in Geno 2.0 Next Generation database which are most similar to me in terms of the genetic markers I carry:

– My First Reference Population: Tuscan (Italy)
– My Second Reference Population: French

Y-DNA Haplogroup: R-Z160 (subclade of R1b - R-U106 - L47)
mtDNA Haplogroup: J1c5c1 (autochthonous of the Basque population)

I am Swiss (as are my father and mother)
Old 24th November 2016, 11:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

A few kits I manage:
Ancestry of gtgtgt-grandparents:
Scottish - 13/32 with maybe a dash of Scandinavian/Orkney
English - 12/32
Irish - 4/32
Anglo-Irish - 2/32
Swiss/French - 1/32

My Origins:
70% British Isles
25% Western & Central Europe
5% Eastern Europe

Two others (siblings) - some genealogy brickwalls.
Have confirmed 4 gt-grandparents via DNA matches so 1/8 Scottish and 3/8 English. Remaining gt-grandparents emigrated from England but could be some Irish or something else.
My Origins:
60% British Isles
27% Scandinavia
7% Asia Minor
3% Eastern Europe
3% Southern Europe

63% British Isles
26% Scandinavia
9% Southern Europe
2% Asia Minor
Old 28th November 2016, 11:33 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwabianGirl View Post
I've always considered myself a German until I started with genealogy. Turns out that almost 2/3 of my mother's family are of Polish descent. And I can't speak Polish

My myOrigin results are:
94% European, split into
54% Eastern European
40% British Isles

6% Middle Eastern (who knew!) - it is 6% Asia Minor (Gedmatch splits it again, into 3% South Asian and 3% West Asian)

My father's paternal grandfather is unknown. He would have been staying at Lake Constance for some time around 1930.
My mom's father's maternal grandfather is also unknown, probably from the region of Gdansk, around 1919.
One of them could've been a British sailor, right? How else could one explain the high percentage of "British Isles"?
some 12.5% of my ancestors have Swabian ancestry and they are from parts of Germany where the Celts lived, but would that result in 40% British Isles?
I almost feared my mom had some 'splaining to do...but then I have a few matches on FTDNA that clearly belong on my father's side. *phew*
German is notoriously hard to pick out and often gets confused with British & Irish (at least a bit).
The little bits of West and South Asian can be ancient excess farmer signal. If you look at how Geno 2.0 NG does the test they show you all sorts of reference examples so it's way easier to understand what is going on.

While that latter stuff could be recent, it's probably just some ancient excess that maybe some southern German ancestors had compared to the Western and Central European reference.
Old 28th November 2016, 11:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwabianGirl View Post
Here are my husband's myOrigin results:
Everyone considered him "German", his family is told to have been living in the same region for several hundred years...there is one illegitimate child in his direct family line, from then on these ancestors looked like Italians... Oh boy. But he looks rather like a Viking, blondish hair and a red beard

So, my husband still was rather astonished when he looked at this results:
98% European and 2% Middle Eastern (Asia Minor).

The European part is split into:
38% British Isles
28% Scandinavia (VIKINGS! YESSS!)
25% Southern European (Italians, I tell you!)
7% Eastern European

So, could the "British Isles"-part just stand for Celtic German heritage?
Plus, looking at his family tree, the Scandinavian influence might date back to ancestors several hundred years ago because we haven't found them yet. My husband's hometown is close to an area which was invaded by the Vikings as they went upstream the river Rhine. Maybe some of them just decided to stay there ;-)
his Southern European does look a bit on the high side (on average it is expected that Germans will score some though)

his British and Scandinavian are also a bit on the high side, but since the specific West and Central part is so hard to pick out it can unstably favor going to anything else if it starts looking even a touch more like that
Old 28th November 2016, 11:45 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patbin View Post
FTDNA My Origins:

– 49% Southern Europe
– 24% Western and Central Europe
– 23% British Isles
– 2% Scandinavia
– 2% Asia Minor

More recently, I got the following “Geno 2.0 Next Generation” results which seem more accurate than the “FTDNA” results since I have not any known British origin in my family:

– 53% Western and Central Europe
– 47% Southern Europe

Reference Populations in Geno 2.0 Next Generation database which are most similar to me in terms of the genetic markers I carry:

– My First Reference Population: Tuscan (Italy)
– My Second Reference Population: French

Y-DNA Haplogroup: R-Z160 (subclade of R1b - R-U106 - L47)
mtDNA Haplogroup: J1c5c1 (autochthonous of the Basque population)

I am Swiss (as are my father and mother)
Hmm that's interesting. I thought everyone who transferred Geno over here got the exact same results on both tests, but his came out so different. Not sure I've seen that happen before for anyone. Not sure what to make of it. Maybe if you do the Geno transfer they don't bother to run their own MyOrigins but just copy over the Geno %? So only if you have tested with FamilyFInder first do you get the actual MyOrigins test?

Last edited by wombat; 28th November 2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 30th November 2016, 03:19 PM
FTDNA Customer

My Origins on FTDNA are:

European 91%

British Isles 55%
Scandinavia 34%
Southern Europe 2%

Middle Eastern 9%

Asia Minor 9%

Always thought we were Euro American, assuming we originated in the UK, yet there are hints of Iberian & Italy/Greece, plus that Middle Eastern at 9% throws me. Ancestry indicates Middle Eastern as Caucausus and only 2%.
Old 2nd December 2016, 08:38 PM
FTDNA Customer

Here are my MyOrigins results:

European: 90%
  • British Isles: 74%
  • Southern Europe: 16%
Middle Eastern: 11%
  • Asia Minor: 11%

This fits fairly close to what I know from my family history research. I am roughly half Irish and a quarter English, one eighth Italian, and one eighth German. MyOrigins shows no sign of my German ancestors (they are from Bavaria), and it includes Asia Minor, which is a mystery to me! Could my German ancestors have originally migrated from Turkey centuries ago? I suppose it is quite possible. The new ancientOrigins feature shows that I am 45% Farmer, who started migrating from Anatolia to central Europe in the Neolithic Era. Still, I am not about to trade in my lederhosen for a şalvar! I'm still part German.
Old 6th December 2016, 12:36 AM
FTDNA Customer

MyOrigins Results

Here is the kit I manage:

MyOrigins

European: 47%

-British Isles: 27
-Southern Europe: 18
-Western and Central Europe: 2

Middle Eastern: 45%

-Asia Minor: 21
-Eastern Middle East: 16
-North Africa: 8

Jewish Diaspora: 6%

-Ashkenazi Diasporum: 6

African: 2%

-East Central Africa: 2

I'm American (family here since 1800's at least) and according to family, we were mainly English, Irish, with possibly some French. I'm not sure where the ME, Jewish, or African is coming from