Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Grumbles & Gripes

Grumbles & Gripes This is a place for free and open grumbling, griping, and venting about anything and everything about DNA, companies, and genealogy that irks you. You may even come here to complain about the Forums and how they are run.

Old 4th December 2017, 08:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

Complaints about autosomal transfers

I'm in a Facebook group in which some people are saying that they're having issues transferring their raw data to FTDNA.

Apparently, 23&Me users are having to upload to another site which "fixes" the zip file and they can upload the new file fine, but Ancestry users don't have a similar fix. And understandably, some are afraid to just give their DNA file to a third party site.

The same people are successfully uploading to GEDmatch and MyHeritage with no problems. So is there a known issue, and is there any word on when it may be resolved?
Old 5th December 2017, 02:20 AM
FTDNA Customer

It is the other way around, current 23andmeV5 (tested after July 2017)can not be uploaded to FTDNA.
Latest 23andme chip only contains approx 150,000 SNPs that can be used at FTDNA, which tests 700,000.
23andmeV5 upload to FTDNA will not be "resolved", FTDNA deems it to incompatible
For Gedmatch, these files must be uploaded to the Genesis side (Beta Matching Alogrithm testing site)
MyHeritage imputes missing SNP, FTDNA does not use imputation and as far as I have read, they do not plan to.

Ancestry can be uploaded to FTDNA, if one receives the error message on upload attempt then they have to use the third party tool to fix ancestry Raw Data file which converts it to the format FTDNA accepts. (not all ancestry files need to be converted)
The tool is called mapmy23
FTDNA is allowing transfers for free, should they make it so these files are accepted automatically, probably, but it probably is not priority. One may ask the source ,Ancestry, why some files are different (smaller, containing less SNPs)the others.

Last edited by prairielad; 5th December 2017 at 02:22 AM.
Old 5th December 2017, 03:55 AM
FTDNA Customer

Yes, you're right. It is the other way around. I misread what they said.

I've also noticed inconsistencies in Ancestry files, and in one particular case I know personally, they won't even check the data which barely passes by GEDmatch's standards. This particular kit matches the mother's kit (both from Ancestry) less than the other daughter's kit (from 23&Me v3 or v4, I don't remember). I mentioned this in the group and was told it was GEDmatch's fault, despite re-downloading and uploading the file and having the same results. There were over 200,000 SNPs less in her kit than every other Ancestry kit I checked, most of which I know were v1. Hers, I think, was v2.

I've realized this group is very biased in favor of Ancestry...and I honestly don't get it, but to each his own. I just wanted to get another opinion on this issue, but you basically said what I did, though in a nicer tone. 😁 It's just amazing how much hate FTDNA gets for a /free/ service.
Old 6th December 2017, 06:21 AM
FTDNA Customer

Maybe it's time to quit taking transfers

Too many *****ing people don't realize the problem is not here but with the company they tested with. If they want into FTDNA's data banks,Test here. It's really not that expensive for a family finder test.
Old 7th December 2017, 01:11 AM
FTDNA Customer

Agreed. I tested a year ago and the cost has reduced considerably.

I prefer FTDNA as a company as they don't have terms and conditions that lead me to believe they're doing something I would disapprove of with my DNA. Much as I would like to be in all databases, I won't do it at that cost.

I think as the other companies move further away from being compatible, FTDNA should no longer offer transfers to their testers. It makes sense to allow Ancestry v1, 23&Me v3, and MyHeritage files to transfer, but not the rest. Even Roberta Estes changed her stance and said to test directly at FTDNA instead of transferring.
Old 7th December 2017, 06:07 AM
FTDNA Customer

Smile Put the Blame Where it Belongs!

Why not test at FTDNA first and then transfer to the other company. If they don't accept transfers complain to them. Frankly Ancestry seems to be going out of their way to create problems for their customers wanting to transfer their data. Again, people should complain to Ancestry, not to FTDNA.
Old 7th December 2017, 10:18 AM
FTDNA Customer

Their customers are determined to think FTDNA is the one creating the problem, despite the fact that transfers were working previously and now files need to be "fixed" before being uploaded.

They think the free transfer is a "marketing ploy" to get new customers, which makes no sense to me. Allowing the competitor's customers to use your service for free is not something you can cash in on. Also, offering free service then sabotaging it is not a sensible way to convince people to give you money. So basically they think FTDNA is run by people who hate profits and want to have a bad reputation?

Many of them are searching for very close relatives and Ancestry supposedly has a bigger database (6 times FTDNA's database, but I don't know if that includes Ancestry, 23&Me, and MyHeritage transfers). They also know they can transfer to FTDNA for free, so they advise everyone to do that instead of testing here. I just find it irresponsible to encourage someone to buy a product knowing that the average person won't read the terms and conditions and knowing that those terms and conditions are not acceptable to me. I have a feeling they haven't even read them themselves.

I'm concerned that they're doing this though. I'm all for matches no matter how I get them, but I already know all my immediate family members. What I need are 3rd and 4th cousins, and if they only come here as transfers, with the 39% or so no-calls, I won't even see the majority, if not all of them, in my list. So by their actions, which I already deem foolish, they're also hindering my own progress with my genealogical research, and who knows how many others?
Old 7th December 2017, 12:03 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniara View Post

I'm concerned that they're doing this though. I'm all for matches no matter how I get them, but I already know all my immediate family members. What I need are 3rd and 4th cousins, and if they only come here as transfers, with the 39% or so no-calls, I won't even see the majority, if not all of them, in my list. So by their actions, which I already deem foolish, they're also hindering my own progress with my genealogical research, and who knows how many others?
Note, any AncestryV2 transfers will not see any matches past the 3rd to 5th cousin category, not 4th to Remote or further (due to not enough comparable snps), which means with in the FTDNA database unless they are in the immediate to 3rd to 5th cousin range FTDNA testers will not see them either (Ancestry V2 transfers probably get on average only 300 to 500 matches from what I have seen).
It is always best to test with company over transfer, now that each company is using different chip versions (exception is myHeritage which uses same chip as FTDNA currently)
Old 7th December 2017, 09:58 PM
FTDNA Customer

Yes, I agree with that. I just tested with Living DNA, mostly because I was curious about them and I liked their terms and conditions. Their overlap with FTDNA is small, but with 23&Me, it's high. So between FTDNA and Living DNA, I feel I'm covered on matches. If everyone would get on GEDmatch, I wouldn't have cause for concern.