Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Basics

Old 7th August 2018, 08:39 AM
FTDNA Customer

I mean I can trace all 32 of my 3gt grandparents but after that it gets very patchy. Having said that my maternal side especially my mother's maternal side is less patchy.

As far as I can tell the feature is working ok but I'm not very good at telling. I tried one match that would only have a few in common and that's still true.

It does surprise me that so many of these Scandinavian matches have so many in common.
Old 7th August 2018, 01:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

An ancestor with the surname Flett from the Orkneys is the answer. The Orkneys are known for consanguinity and are an endogamous population.

Having DNA from an endogamous population makes DNA relationships look closer than they are and gives large numbers of DNA matches that show as pileups (IBP) in a chromosome browser.

You could be related to these matches from 6 to 20 generations back.
Old 7th August 2018, 02:32 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbirk View Post
An ancestor with the surname Flett from the Orkneys is the answer. The Orkneys are known for consanguinity and are an endogamous population.

Having DNA from an endogamous population makes DNA relationships look closer than they are and gives large numbers of DNA matches that show as pileups (IBP) in a chromosome browser.

You could be related to these matches from 6 to 20 generations back.
I am not doubting your info on the Orkneys but this falls on the basis that the Flett ancestry is on my maternal side, and these happen to be matches on my paternal side.