Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 7th August 2017, 01:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

Full mtDNA sequencing

I have 5 exact full mtDNA sequence matches. What does this mean in terms of recency of sharing a maternal ancestor?

Thanks.
Old 8th August 2017, 02:15 AM
FTDNA Customer

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...-relationship/

But I find that hard to fit with my own results.
Old 8th August 2017, 08:23 AM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Honeychuck View Post
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...-relationship/

But I find that hard to fit with my own results.
You're not the only one who thinks that FTDNA's estimates of how recently a common ancestor for an exact match in mtDNA full sequence results lived are too optimistic.

If it were the case that the 50% confidence interval was truly just 5 generations, I would expect that we'd see many success stories about how two cousins found each other through the mtDNA full sequence test. The plain fact is that any success stories are few and far between.
Old 20th November 2017, 02:20 PM
FTDNA Customer

Clock rate

The clock rate on human mtDNA mutations is based on the differences between human and chimpanzee mtDNA. Recently, the accepted time of divergence between human and chimp has been called into question and, if accepted, would dial way back the clock rate.
Old 26th November 2017, 10:18 AM
FTDNA Customer

I'm another individual that questions the accuracy of the generations called for the FMS. I'm H10c1 with 11 matches shown for the FMS with 8 at a zero step, and 1 each at 1,2,and 3 steps. Looking for a common ancestor is just not worth the trouble, because not one match is even showing as being related to me in the FF test and all but one of my matches did the FF test. I've been in contact with the researcher who is doing the tree for the only match who hasn't done the FF test and we can't come up with anything connecting us but our mitochondrial DNA.

If the FMS test is 50% accurate for 5 generations, I'd think I'd have a good chance of having one of those 8 zero matches show up on the FF test. Twenty-two generations away for a 95% of accuracy is just too distant to really try pinning down.
Old 26th November 2017, 11:02 AM
FTDNA Customer

Something is not right with mtDNA matching methodology. I am seeing some indications that the rates of mutations and back-mutations are a lot higher than anyone suspects. I hope to be able to offer some proof of that soon. Further division of subclades seems to be going too far, as those states are probably not very stable.

Jack
Old 1st August 2018, 02:34 AM
mtDNA - J2a1a1b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaddi View Post
You're not the only one who thinks that FTDNA's estimates of how recently a common ancestor for an exact match in mtDNA full sequence results lived are too optimistic.

If it were the case that the 50% confidence interval was truly just 5 generations, I would expect that we'd see many success stories about how two cousins found each other through the mtDNA full sequence test. The plain fact is that any success stories are few and far between.
My only 0 step FMS match is exactly 5 generations back. I took the test to attempt to crack my 3rd great grandmotherís brick wall, and that 0 match is her sisterís descendant
Old 3rd August 2018, 12:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

The chart says 5 to 22 generations. I can do 14 generations in my line. I haven't checked my mtDNA matches for a while so I don't remember exactly how many total matches I have or how many are exact matches. I contacted one man and he said he didn't know much about his ancestry, but he was going to pass the information onto the family genealogist but I never heard back. Another match was a woman and her husband responded to me and said his wife could only trace her line back a few generations and didn't recognize any of mine but he didn't tell me any details about her family.