Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 25th March 2018, 02:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

South East Europian blood in Central Asian people?!

Hi Folks!
In Family Finder, I got 4% from South East Europe, My uncle from mother side got 10% from South East Europe...
My uncle and I are mainly from Central Asia and North India...As we know we do not have South Eastern Europe blood in the last 4 generations...
Now my inquiries.... :
1. Is this possible or it can be a wrong misinterpretation from FTDNA.?..
2. If it is true, when the South Eastern Europe blood entered our ethnicity...Was it Within last 5 generations or further back in the past?

Thanks!
Old 25th March 2018, 04:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

Counting generations back, for autosomal DNA, you would think that we get for each ancestor:
1 - 50%
2 - 25%
3 - 12.5%
etc.

Reality is closer to
1 generation back, each ancestor 50%
2 generations back, each ancestor 17-33%
3 generations back, each ancestor 7-21%
etc.

The above is a simplification, so it is easy to visualize.
For an explanation, with references to sources, please see
Autosomal DNA statistics
https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics

There are three possibilities
  • the line you share with your uncle has European ancestors beyond your paper trail;
  • your and your uncle ancestry**** have separate European ancestors beyond your paper trail;
  • some combination of the above two.

Good luck in your research - Mr. W.

P.S.
With 10%, your uncle should have some matches that only have recent European ancestry.

**** Assuming that your uncle is not a brother of your mother. As in such a case, I would expect you writing brother of my mother. In the case of your uncle being a brother of your mother, all his ancestors are also yours, thus only the first scenario is valid.

Last edited by dna; 25th March 2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 25th March 2018, 10:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
Counting generations back, for autosomal DNA, you would think that we get for each ancestor:
1 - 50%
2 - 25%
3 - 12.5%
etc.

Reality is closer to
1 generation back, each ancestor 50%
2 generations back, each ancestor 17-33%
3 generations back, each ancestor 7-21%
etc.

The above is a simplification, so it is easy to visualize.
For an explanation, with references to sources, please see
Autosomal DNA statistics
https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics

There are three possibilities
  • the line you share with your uncle has European ancestors beyond your paper trail;
  • your and your uncle ancestry**** have separate European ancestors beyond your paper trail;
  • some combination of the above two.

Good luck in your research - Mr. W.

P.S.
With 10%, your uncle should have some matches that only have recent European ancestry.

**** Assuming that your uncle is not a brother of your mother. As in such a case, I would expect you writing brother of my mother. In the case of your uncle being a brother of your mother, all his ancestors are also yours, thus only the first scenario is valid.

Thanks dear dna-Mr. W for this informative reply.

For clarification, he is my direct uncle. my mother's full brother.

In fact he got 14% from South East Europe not 10%. I was writing from memory, but after signing in his account it is 14% not 10%. I am the admin of his account.

Is there possibility that this is an outlier or false positive results, because South East Europe is far from Central Asia and North India. In my my thinking, there was no direct sea or land routs between these two geographic areas.

The other thing he got 18% from South Central Asia, while I got 0% from South Central Asia. I am almost 95% Central Asian and 4% South European.
He is 68% Central Asian, 18% South Central Asian, and 14% from South East Europe.
He shares with me 1800 centimorgans.
Further replies and opinions are highly appreciated. I am new in this field!

Last edited by Smart Man; 25th March 2018 at 10:35 PM. Reason: not crrect quoting
Old 26th March 2018, 01:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

For the explanation of complexities in the autosomal DNA inheritance, please consult the URL I had provided. I am sorry, there are no shortcuts...

However, the percentages (14%) you are seeing do not look like an error. That heritage could be just beyond your paper trail. And again, please take a careful look at your uncle matches. Do you see there people who look like being from South East Europe (even if you cannot see their percentages)?

Please remember, that a brother of your mother has different DNA than her, as obviously they are not identical twins Even if you were to compare their results (and not his and yours), they would be different. You cannot expect your DNA results to be the same as his. Please read the URL and possibly a few of the links provided there...

Thank you for your kind words - Mr. W.

P.S.
Additionally, you may want to read at least some of educational references that were posted today by user KATM in another thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATM View Post
[----] read up on genetic genealogy. It's the best way to prepare yourself to understand and use your DNA testing results [----]. Try these:

Last edited by dna; 26th March 2018 at 02:07 AM.
Old 26th March 2018, 01:45 AM
FTDNA Customer

With the 1800 shared cM that is very much the expected amount for an uncle/nephew relationship.

Who are you getting matches with? Are you getting matches with people whose ancestry isn't from regions that match your known ancestry?

On the MyOrigins map where is "South East Europe" and "South Central Asia" in current geography?

Edit to add - just checked and a relative of mine has some SE Europe and South Central Asia (tiny amounts, not significant) but I can see that SC Asia is pretty much south of Mumbai to Calcutta and includes Sri Lanka.

SE Europe is centred on Sardinia, Italy & Greece.

Last edited by ltd-jean-pull; 26th March 2018 at 01:52 AM.
Old 26th March 2018, 11:35 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd-jean-pull View Post
With the 1800 shared cM that is very much the expected amount for an uncle/nephew relationship.

Who are you getting matches with? Are you getting matches with people whose ancestry isn't from regions that match your known ancestry?

On the MyOrigins map where is "South East Europe" and "South Central Asia" in current geography?

Edit to add - just checked and a relative of mine has some SE Europe and South Central Asia (tiny amounts, not significant) but I can see that SC Asia is pretty much south of Mumbai to Calcutta and includes Sri Lanka.

SE Europe is centred on Sardinia, Italy & Greece.
I know it is complicated!
My uncle from mother side is my father' cousin as well.
So I share a lot of centimorgans with him,,,,