• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darren
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jun 2007

Ysearch and Mitosearch going out of business

Hello all,

I wanted to let you know that it looks like Ysearch and Mitosearch are finally going to be shut down. Management is aiming for the end of this month but the exact date has not been announced yet. I would recommend getting whatever data you may want off of it as soon as possible.

-Darren
    Family Tree DNA
  • dagian
    R-M269/ GEDmatch T877951
    • Aug 2017

I have had problems with YSearch for some time now and suspected something was going on. I have deleted my User Account - does this mean my DNA Records have also been deleted? Also, apart from GEDmatch are there any other Tools that a Novice User can benefit from?

Comment

• Jim Barrett
      R-BY55907
      • Apr 2003

Good News!

Originally posted by Darren View Post
      Hello all,

I wanted to let you know that it looks like Ysearch and Mitosearch are finally going to be shut down. Management is aiming for the end of this month but the exact date has not been announced yet. I would recommend getting whatever data you may want off of it as soon as possible.

-Darren
      Family Tree DNA
      Darren,

Thanks for letting us know!

Comment

• dna
        FTDNA Customer
        • Aug 2014

To me, the date is kind of obvious
        Friday, the 25th of May 2018

Mr. W.

Comment

• TW2
          FTDNA Customer
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by dna View Post
          To me, the date is kind of obvious
          Friday, the 25th of May 2018
          Yep; spot on. No practical way FTDNA would want the sites accessible after that, but they could go dark a day earlier, just to make certain. Though it takes all of 10 minutes to delete data from a webserver and put up a static "closed for business" page...which I hope they do.

GDPR: the gift from Europe that just keeps on giving.

Comment

• Darren
            FTDNA Customer
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by dagian View Post
            I have had problems with YSearch for some time now and suspected something was going on. I have deleted my User Account - does this mean my DNA Records have also been deleted? Also, apart from GEDmatch are there any other Tools that a Novice User can benefit from?
            When you delete the user account the data will also be deleted from the Ysearch.org database. A long time ago there was a Y base website that had some Y-DNA comparing options but I am not aware of any others at the moment.

-Darren

Comment

• Aniara
              FTDNA Customer
              • Dec 2016

It's just as well. I've had to input my husband's data twice and last I checked, it said he didn't even have an account. So it's been somewhat useless for us.

Comment

• Dorisw
                FTDNA Customer
                • Nov 2006

Ysearch and Mitosearch

I can understand FTDNA's decision to close access, but I wonder if they will keep these databases in a vault somewhere in the hope that someday there will be a "DNA Archive." Just like the loss of the Alexandria Library has had such dire consequences for historical knowledge, so has the loss of Sorenson's data... and now this.

Comment

• dna
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Dorisw View Post
                  I can understand FTDNA's decision to close access, but I wonder if they will keep these databases in a vault somewhere in the hope that someday there will be a "DNA Archive." Just like the loss of the Alexandria Library has had such dire consequences for historical knowledge, so has the loss of Sorenson's data... and now this.
                  If FTDNA kept the data, FTDNA would be like Facebook, that is FTDNA would be doing more with the customer data than the customers agreed to...

Mr. W.

Comment

• Jim Barrett
                    R-BY55907
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by dna View Post
                    If FTDNA kept the data, FTDNA would be like Facebook, that is FTDNA would be doing more with the customer data than the customers agreed to...Mr. W.
                    Only if the customer asked FTDNA to delete it. When we uploaded our data to FTDNA's Ysearch they started keeping it then.

Comment

• Scribe
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Apr 2016

Losing Ysearch and MitoSearch

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                      Hello all,

-Darren
                      Family Tree DNA
                      How do we get our data off the site? Does this mean that results of tests we have paid for will be lost to us? If so, do we get a refund?
                      I had uploaded my data to Mitosearch but a couple of years ago it already said it was no longer accessible or supported.
                      I recall seeing a colourful spreadsheet of my results on the site but didn't know how to interpret them. I can't find that spreadsheet now. Was that the Mitosearch and Ysearch data?

Comment

• dna
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Scribe View Post
                        How do we get our data off the site? Does this mean that results of tests we have paid for will be lost to us? If so, do we get a refund?
                        I had uploaded my data to Mitosearch but a couple of years ago it already said it was no longer accessible or supported.
                        I recall seeing a colourful spreadsheet of my results on the site but didn't know how to interpret them. I can't find that spreadsheet now. Was that the Mitosearch and Ysearch data?
                        If you paid, then you paid somewhere else.

Mr. W.

Comment

• oma04
                          mtdna X2d, ydna I-M253
                          • Oct 2014

ySearch option

I just attempted to access a project member yDNA results for YSearch and the option no longer appears at the bottom of the Results page. Looks like to me it is already gone!

Comment

• Jim Barrett
                            R-BY55907
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Scribe View Post
                            Your mtDNA will still be on your myFTDNA website. That is what you paid for. If you want that deleted call FTDNA and tell them to delete it. You will not get a refund for that, because are asking them to remove the data and destroy your DNA sample.

Mitosearch was a free database offered by FTDNA. Back when Ancestry sold Y-DNA and mtDNA it made sense to have a database where data from different companies could be compared.

Comment

• loobster
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Feb 2012

As I understand it - Geni created profiles on Geni for all the profiles on YSearch and Mitosearch - with the DNA Results attached to them - believe this was done before they announced profiles on Geni could be linked to FTDNA - which was announced on 6/30/2017 (https://www.geni.com/discussions/157595?msg=1092618 )

per recent statement: https://www.geni.com/discussions/157595?msg=1216632 "The transfer of all the profiles from Ysearch and Mitosearch to Geni is a part of the plan to close down those sites."

Comment

Working...
                              X