Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Closed Thread

Old 11th June 2012, 05:09 AM
FTDNA Customer

A bunch of us received invites about a week ago. I thought they had "forgotten" me but it turned out the invite was in my spam folder.
Old 11th June 2012, 05:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecemoore View Post
@EdwardRHill - teyoung is right. You definitely have been getting new matches, but the match cap is tricking you into thinking that you are not. I imagine you have Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry (?) since those that do were the first to hit this cap, although it is becoming an increasing problem for many at 23andMe, including those with substantial NE Colonial roots.
I hit the 1,000 cap pretty quickly. I couldn't understand why I had 900 matches initially, was getting a half dozen new matches at FTDNA each week but nothing new at 23andMe.

So I wrote to them and got the generic "not everybody gets new matches every time we add to the database..." answer. It wasn't until I saw the answer HERE that I understood what was actually going on. So much for Customer Service.
Old 11th June 2012, 08:41 AM
FTDNA Customer

I've been a member at Ancestry for years. I have a very detailed and media heavy tree of about 2500 and growing. I couldn't wait any longer though for their autosomal test and I didn't want my family finder discount coupons to expire. I just bought a couple new FF tests for relatives. I'll still test myself at Ancestry when offered, but I wont test anyone else in my family since I've already done that here.
Old 11th June 2012, 10:03 AM
FTDNA Customer

I would not have tested at Ancestry.com if I hadn't already tested at FTDNA and 23andMe. And I would not have paid $250+ for the privilege either. The $99 price tag was okay. I was actually offered one of the free tests last fall but since I live in Uruguay I could not have it shipped down here and I would not be in the US until this summer.

I have bought kits for a number of family members - all Family Finder, mtDNA and Y-DNA at FTDNA.
Old 11th June 2012, 11:58 AM
FTDNA Customer

Just rec'd the invite email 1107am ET

and it says: LAST CHANCE offer expires at 11:59pm today... Glad I wasn't on vacation or something. I do wish though that they would offer raw data etc when I get the results. It will be interesting to see if I get any matches. I am not expecting a lot.
Old 11th June 2012, 12:10 PM

Exclamation Ancestry DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
I do wish though that they would offer raw data etc when I get the results. It will be interesting to see if I get any matches. I am not expecting a lot.
I think the key with AncestryDNA will be to get enough customers to demand the raw data.
Old 11th June 2012, 12:38 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTurin View Post
I think the key with AncestryDNA will be to get enough customers to demand the raw data.
One of the reasons that I am testing there - to be able to voice my opinion.

One odd thing - my invite said I had 5 days to order the test. Other people who got the invite at the same time had 3 days and one had 7 days. Any idea why?
Old 11th June 2012, 02:34 PM

Ancestry Dna

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayeSherman View Post
A bunch of us received invites about a week ago. I thought they had "forgotten" me but it turned out the invite was in my spam folder.
I thought they sent those invites to your inbox on Ancestry itself, I've been waiting and waiting for an invite, We already did the Dna & FF here, but wanted to get Our son tested and the price seems good to me when I have to pay for Him
Old 11th June 2012, 03:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwr View Post
I thought they sent those invites to your inbox on Ancestry itself, I've been waiting and waiting for an invite.
I thought so too. For everyone I know, it went to their email address.
Old 12th June 2012, 02:00 AM

Question Ancestry Dna invites

Thanks

are they going by last names with those invites ? I'm always down the alphabet
aways I checked my emails and spam filter Nada..I wonder if I should call them has anyone tried that ?
Closed Thread