Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peter Farrell

Origin of Farrells in Co. Mayo, Ireland - All of them

My Grandfather was James Farrell born in BREAGHWYANTEAN, in the Killala district, alternatively of the Kilfian/Moygownagh parishes in Co. Mayo. His Father was Francis Farrell m. Bridget Hegarty of the same location, His Father, my Great-Great Grandfather was Francis Farrell married to Julia Monnelly ( anglicized version of this name is Manely) and Griffiths shows he had possession of the same farm in the 1840’s. He married my Great Great Grandmother Feb 17, 1833.

But that’s as far back for this branch of my tree I can go. I can’t find any documentation of Farrell’s in Co. Mayo prior to 1795. That doesn’t mean they aren't there, it just means I haven’t found them yet.

On the other hand the surname Farrell, didn’t originate in Mayo, it comes from Co. Longford in the middle of the country. So the question of the day is;

Did the Mayo Farrell’s wander in from the Longford, via Roscommon, area?

OR

Did they come from a more round about route? Did those Farrell’s arrive after the Ulster displacement, when many Catholics were pushed out of the Northern ( 1795-1796) counties?

The earliest Farrell’s I have in Co. Mayo are;

Patrick Farrell - petitioned for land in Westport Co. Mayo – 1795
    Patrick Farrell - May be the same guy above, showed up on the Flax Growers list for 1796 – Killala
    Bartholomew - Ulster Migrant to Mayo 1796, petitioner to Lord Altmount
    Abraham - Flax growers list 1796 civil parish Turlough.
    Dominick - Flax growers list 1796 civil parish Bekan

Issac - Rent lists of Westport, Co. Mayo 1815 on Bridge St. , Also Mall and Mill St ( possibly shopkeeper/craftsman?)

Richard - Rent lists of Westport, Co. Mayo 1815 – High Street , also on the Mall ( again possible shopkeeper/craftsman?)

I’ll be digging up the 1833 Tithe lists for the parishes my family lived in later this summer. Every Farrell I have come across in Co. Mayo prior to 1900 was a farmer. If any of you have any information on Mayo Farrells in particular the names mentioned above please let me know. If you have questions, likewise I'm buidling up quite a spreadsheet of every Farrell documented in Mayo prior to 1900.

This is why its called a hobby, because it sucks of lots of time and never has a conclusion, right?

Thanks,

- Peter

PS - I mailed my dna sample in yesterday. My results should be posted in by the summer.
Working...
X