Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 23rd September 2017, 05:23 AM
FTDNA Customer

Finally got Ancestry to take this issue seriously!

I recently experienced this same issue with one of the DNA profiles I manage, but not the other. In talking with my sister I found that she was having the problem with uploading her husbands file but not her own. She provided me with the two raw dna files for the accounts she manages and I was able to compare them with the two i manage. Since we both had one file which worked for upload and one that didn't they were perfect for comparison. I'm a database manager by profession so I wasnt going at this blind. After converting all the files I was able to compare the data row for row, rsid for rsid. I found that the two working files contained not only the exact same number or rows butthat they contained the exact same rsids just with different allele info. Then in comparing the files that wouldn't upload , to each other, I found that they contained the same number of rows and exact same rsids as each other as well. But, when the non-working files were compared to the working ones they were much smaller because they were missing the exact same 19,886 rsids which the working files contained!
I called ancestry, and despite being previously told this wasn't their problem, they finally took me seriously! The ticket was escalated to their developers and they asked me for the list of rsids that were missing. I noticed yesterday tere was a notice on the ancestry site saying they would be down for scheduled maintenance today from 2 AM - 4 AM. I'm hopeful they've found and are implementing a fix for this. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by aprilmcg123; 23rd September 2017 at 05:35 AM.
Old 23rd September 2017, 08:48 AM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Thumbs up

Although this issue hasn't affected me, I would like to thank you, aprilmcg123, for taking the time and making the effort to try to fix the problem. I hope your work will help Ancestry to see what's wrong and correct it.
Old 23rd September 2017, 02:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

Aprilmcg123

Hi, Aprilmcg123.

Earlier this week, I finished composing an email to ancestrysupport@ancestry.com, after having had numerous phone conversations with CSR's up to mid-level managers, presumably. Like you, I pointed out that my husband and son's files are missing in excess of 18,000 lines of data (rsids / alleles). I explained the various excuses I'd been given and, essentially, said enough was enough.

I'm not sure of the timing of your contact with them versus their receipt of my email, but I received the following response:

"Thank you for contacting Ancestry in regards to your DNA test.

I carefully looked into your case now and would like to inform you that the last update we have from our technical department is that the size of the txt/zip files should not be a factor (unless it's extremely small/doesn't extract). There are many reasons why file sizes can vary. As long as one is able to extract the txt from the zip, the data is not corrupt.

Our technical department are offering now to test your raw-DNA files for you. For this we would need to reset the password for your account. They could then download the raw DNA file for further inspection.

Please let us know if you would like us to proceed this way. We would then reset the password and would the inform you and our technical department of the new login details."

Of course, I responded I would like them to do it and this is their response to that:

"Thank you for your response.

Please know that your case has been documented in full and our management is aware of all the steps that were taken and answers that were given.

Thank you for giving us the permission to hand your case over to our technical department. For this we have reset your password and passed on the details to our technical team.

Your current login information is as follows:

Username: xxxxxxxxxx
Password: xxxxxxxxxx

To login, do the following:
1. Go to the home page of our website
2. Click the Sign In button in the top right corner.
3. Fill in both your username and password in their separate fields and click Sign In.

The homepage will refresh, and you will be able to begin your searching. To log out, simply click the Sign Out link at the top right of the page under your username.

Unfortunately it is not our area of expertise here in our Member Services Department to give elaborate insight in what the testing of the files will include. But we will get back to you with the details once the testing is complete.

We would like to ask for your patience and will get back to you."

After allowing for a couple of days (the limit of my 'patience,') I reached out again, asking an estimate as to when I can expect to hear back. This is their response:

"We regret your frustration at the delays in resolving this issue of your DNA tests with Ancestry. Unfortunately, we're not able to give you an exact time frame for the completion of the investigation. We can assure you that your error report will be looked at just as soon as it moves to the front of the queue and you will be immediately informed of any updates as soon as they are available."

So, in the meantime, my account is open to them and however many employees were involved in changing my password and I'm supposed to be "patient" without even knowing how many others are in the "queue?!" I sincerely hope they aren't just giving lip service and that they will actually do something about this, but I have to admit, I have my doubts.