Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 19th November 2017, 08:10 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobster View Post
On FTDNA it is totally normal for many of us to manage a number of kits. Totally normal that the Kit Name sometimes does not end up matching the name of the Person you contact via e-mail. No problem at all if they address me by the Kit Name, and then I let them know that person's relationship to me, that I manage the Kit, and my name - no problem there.
Great that you are aware of this and understand it, but not everyone does. Plus, it's annoying to have to constantly preface every new conversation with and explanation of who I am and how I manage my dad's kit - it just makes more sense to me to preface it by making myself clear in the kit name.

Quote:
Germanica -- suggest you consider doing as I have seen on some Kits - and have the name read <Your Dad's Name> Managed by <Your Name> -- that way you can all be happy.
Maybe, I had considered that, but I just don't see why it's such a big deal to simply have my name. Is it really SO "wrong" and "should be corrected"?
Old 19th November 2017, 11:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

There is clearly no perfect solution, but the least problematic tends to be to name the kit after the DNA donor. Yes, it is weird having a different name but it would be stranger if I used my name with all the Y-DNA kits I manage. If I put my name on them, there is that side effect of people assuming the DNA belongs to someone that it does not.

So it isn't an issue only female kit managers face. Male kit managers face this as well. I look at my uncles' matches and look for their surnames. If people stuck with the kit manager surnames rather than the donors which may not always be the same, I would be ignoring more matches without realizing it.

One of my uncles has nearly 300 Y37 matches. I'm not going to be emailing each and every one of them. I scan the list and look for those that may be worth contacting. Sometimes a kit has very little data and I have to go by their surname alone. Of course if you were managing your father's kit the surname would be the same and you would think it isn't a problem. But the fact that someone sees a female name might assume that the donor could be anyone, even with a different surname.

You say that to avoid prefacing every conversation with who you are you instead opt to put your name on the kit. Wouldn't that still cause some people to ask for an explanation? If a Y-DNA kit manager contacted me and it was obvious that the DNA donor's name was not on the kit, I would be curious to know about the donor. Only to understand the connection between the DNA match not because of who manages it. It does not matter who manages it.

Many of the Y-DNA matches that I keep contact with are of female kit managers. Not all of them are daughters and sisters. Some are nieces or cousins. All it took was one sentence to explain the situation or even a few words like "my father's kit..." as they talked about something else. No need for lengthy explanations.

Everyone has an opinion on this. No one is telling you do it like this. Just that it may be to your (small) benefit, maybe. People make assumptions either way.

At any rate, I've heard that FTDNA may be working on a fix for all this. I have no details and no idea when but I'm glad they are. It is weird being called by someone else name. Happens in the activity feeds and not even having my name in parenthesis prevents this. People just don't get it.

Last edited by The_Contemplator; 19th November 2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 20th November 2017, 12:59 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

My name is ... and I manage the kit of my cousin, ...

That doesn't take much typing!

And as no one ever contacts me, I have to do all the contacting, I have a few basic messages saved on my computer, which I copy-paste and alter to suit the situation. Saves on typing!