Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > Adoptees Forum

Adoptees Forum This is a forum for adoptees and descendants of adoptees to share their research experiences and exchange information as well as tips. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 15th November 2017, 08:35 AM
FTDNA Customer

What next?

I am an adoptee with no information about either parent. I already took the "23andme" test and did an "ancestry.com/.ca" dna test so I'm on both databases and at least know my ethnicity (almost 100% Finnish, according to both tests). Any info from others is not very useful. So far, I have no names, no close connections, and only one possible 2nd cousin from dna results. I've now downloaded my results here but have not yet made any commitment to further testing with this company. Although my data appears to have been seen by members here, I am unable to access or see anything myself as of yet. Basic question: Should I do a third dna test here in order to access this data? I just keep seeing the option to pay for yet another dna test! What should I do next?!!
Old 16th November 2017, 12:44 PM
FTDNA Customer

It shouldn't take more than a day or two to get your results for your transfer. It should be worth the wait, FTDNA has a large number of Finns in their database. Unless you want your remote matches, there's no need to pay for another test.

Last edited by Frank Kelch; 16th November 2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 16th November 2017, 12:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

While your at it, you might want to upload your raw data to GEDmatch, My Heritage and DNAland, as well. More matches means a better chance of finding what your looking for.
Old 16th November 2017, 01:03 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelch View Post
If you can afford it, you should definitely take the Family Finder test, they have a large number of Finns in their database. Of course, you could upload your raw data to FTDNA for free (if you're not interested in your remote matches).
By all means get the Family Finder test as soon as possible. In my book, it is the only autosomal test which has not been crippled through a reduction of the number of SNP's used for matching. However when the current chips run out, Family Finder may be forced to change.

I find more SNP's mean a better chance of finding distant matches.

Jack
Old 17th November 2017, 09:32 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks all!

...I will continue my journey, even though it is really kind of challenging without any names or information to pursue except "cousin level" which of course is little help with no names and no way of determining to which parent someone belongs.
Old 17th November 2017, 12:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

There is 3036 Finish descendants that has tested fullMitho with FTDNA, and it seems like the ratio FamilyFinder / fullMitho is 2:1. So it shall be almost 10000 Finish people to test against. So maybe you get some close hit.
Old 26th November 2017, 11:28 AM
FTDNA Customer

Always remember too, that while the number of people who do DNA testing at some point is increasing fairly rapidly, not all families are interested in genealogy and they don't test. It can be a long time before you actually pick up a close relative. Use the time to question everyone you can about what they might know of your background. If you know where you were born, you'll need to see if you can get your birth certificate, the one made out for you prior to adoption. Also have you checked state adoption registries of people who are searching for a parent or child? Have you looked into adoption angels who are people with some knowledge of how the systems work in various areas and are willing to help you search? Good luck.
Old 27th November 2017, 09:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

Sad Reality!

Continuing on my journey...thanks again to those who responded here. I am well aware of how long this might take and that it may never produce results. How can I figure anything out from 1000s of names when the connections are 3rd or 4th cousins and I have no clues to begin with?. I just found a 1st - 2nd cousin, the closest relative yet, who seems to be reluctant to share any information --despite the fact that we are very likely closer than anyone else so far. I have no way of determining whether we are related on my paternal or maternal side. As cousins, it would be his parents' siblings I need to know about and I have asked him twice, explaining my predicament. He seems to be avoiding the question.... Some researchers have suggested that one should not publish the adoption fact in one's profile. I chose to let the genie out of the bottle. This may have inhibited my chances! The most difficult part is knowing that I may never find out where I came from. It seems, in this case at least, that I have no rights, even more than 50 years later...