Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 1st June 2018, 09:36 AM
FTDNA Customer

Are my Parents Related

Hi!

So I have DNA for both of my parents and have used the Are My Parents Related on Gedmatch and it shows no relation. But I came up with some weird matches using the In Common tool in FTDNA that looks like they might connect. I built this chart in the attachment to show.

I'm Mike and Moe is my father and Kathy is my mother. The X represents an In Common with match. I am in common with all 4 people: Moe and I are in common with Charles. Charles and I are in common with Violet and Violet and I are in common with Kathy.

Would this show that there may be a distant ancestor that both Moe and Kathy share via the connection between Charles and Violet or am I completely reading this incorrectly?

Thanks!

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: png FTDNA.PNG (5.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 1st June 2018, 09:53 AM
FTDNA Customer

Out of curiosity, use the one-to-one comparison at Gedmatch for your parents. Drop the threshold to ~3 cMs to see if you get a match above that.
Old 1st June 2018, 11:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miken07 View Post
Hi!

So I have DNA for both of my parents and have used the Are My Parents Related on Gedmatch and it shows no relation. But I came up with some weird matches using the In Common tool in FTDNA that looks like they might connect. I built this chart in the attachment to show.

I'm Mike and Moe is my father and Kathy is my mother. The X represents an In Common with match. I am in common with all 4 people: Moe and I are in common with Charles. Charles and I are in common with Violet and Violet and I are in common with Kathy.

Would this show that there may be a distant ancestor that both Moe and Kathy share via the connection between Charles and Violet or am I completely reading this incorrectly?

Thanks!

Mike
That happens quite frequently. It could be that Charles is just related to both sides of your family (through completely different ancestors). Edit actually it is more likely that it is Charles that could be related to Violet more than once.

Last edited by mattn; 1st June 2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 1st June 2018, 05:03 PM
FTDNA Customer

This and a number of other questions that come up in genetic genealogy are usually phrased as absolutes: Are my parents related? Are we a match? Etc.

The sort of question that I think is more interesting, qualifies these terms a little: Are my parents related at least as closely as 3rd or 4th cousins? (That's a question that can probably be answered. The absolute question, "related at all", is true, in that all humans are related in some way, if we go back far enough, but unhelpful.) Are we a match within 5 generations? Etc.

The "Are Your Parents Related" tool on GEDmatch is interesting because it looks for "runs of homozygosity" in YOU, but by definition of "you", the tool can only look at half of your father's DNA and half of your mother's DNA. So, overall, it's about 1 generation less sensitive than actually testing and comparing your father's with your mother's complete autosomal DNA. Comparing the full autosomal genome of two persons is fairly sensitive out to about 5 generations, such that about 50 percent of 4th cousins will not be detected as a match by the normal criteria. So, for the "Are Your Parents Related" tool, it might be able to detect only about 50 percent of 3rd cousin parents. It should be fairly good at detecting closer relationships.