Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > BIG Y and SNP Discovery

BIG Y and SNP Discovery This area is for talk about BIG Y results.

Old 15th December 2014, 07:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

Big Y - Was it worth it?

Genetic Genealogy is my hobby, I am debating getting the Big Y...
Is there anyone who regrets purchasing it?
Is finding your terminal SNP worth it?
Will there be any other benefits to me?
Thanks in advance
Old 15th December 2014, 07:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

Smile Genetic Genealogy is my hobby, too

I have just ordered first Big Ys not to learn the terminal SNPs, but to try building a tree.

A tree cannot be built with STRs. With SNPs I can at least try .

W.
Old 15th December 2014, 08:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

y-str data is good at estimating the extent to which two people are or are not related in their patriline. But to really establish it, you have to use SNPs. The novel variants have proven to be a gold mine to ascertain how closely two estimated people really are related... in essence, to build a tree.

y-str counts can fluctuate up or down across the generations, causing apparent convergence in some patrilines.

Timothy Peterman
Old 15th December 2014, 09:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

It has been worth it for me; I am using it together with BigY and STR tests from others in my surname project to explore deep relationships in our family.
Old 16th December 2014, 03:14 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neves View Post
Is there anyone who regrets purchasing it?
Is finding your terminal SNP worth it?
Will there be any other benefits to me?
1) I have seen posts from people who, upon first seeing FTDNA's presentation of results, are profoundly dismayed. They quickly learn that professional analysis of the results is required--at least from haplogroup administrators, and ideally from YFull or FullGenomes.

2) Since the Big Y finds roughly one SNP per 150 years of patrilineage, you will find your true terminal SNP only when someone rather closely related to you also orders the Big Y. But once you have your Big Y results, you are essentially done with your own Y chromosome testing--you "merely" have to convince others to order the test too. As they do, your SNPs will fall into historical place, eventually down to modern times if enough related men order the test (or an equivalent).

3) Professional analysis of your Big Y results can also measure about 400 Y-STRs (markers) and determine your mtDNA subhaplogroup.
Old 16th December 2014, 03:57 AM
R-BY39877

Question mtDNA subhaplogroup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
3) Professional analysis of your Big Y results can also measure about 400 Y-STRs (markers) and determine your mtDNA subhaplogroup.
The Family Tree DNA Learning Center says, "The BIG Y product is a direct paternal lineage test." How will this tell you your mtDNA subhaplogroup?
Old 16th December 2014, 05:05 AM
FTDNA Customer

The experience I have seen so far is that most Big Y participants will get about 90 novel variants, in addition to a reading for every known SNP (at $39 a piece, if someone is R1b L21+ & wants to know deeper subclades, the Big Y may be cheaper than ordering individual SNP tests).

Of the 90 or so novel variants, about half will be shared with every match AND most everyone else who isn't a match. That is because these are located a lot further upstream (ie, dating from farther back in time). They might date as far back as 20,000 years or more.

You will see maybe 10 or 15 novel variants that are shared with a handful of other people. Making sense of these can be tricky. One novel SNP might be shared with one match. Another novel SNP might be shared with another match. Which is really closest? I suspect that this anomaly might be cause by frequent no-calls on these SNPs. Don't really know.

Things get a bit more interesting when you look at the 10 or 20 or 30 novel variants that you share with no one. Let's say you have 20 of these. At 135 years per novel variant on average, that suggests that you have to go back about 2700 years before your patriline joins that of any of the other participants. (Note: At 150 years, this would be 3,000 years).

I agree that this should be done in coordination with a haplogroup project. The administrators seem to have a better handle on sorting out anomalies & identifying new subclades within the novel variants. Your data will never become available for analysis & placement if you don't take the Big Y test.

Timothy Peterman
Old 16th December 2014, 08:30 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
The Family Tree DNA Learning Center says, "The BIG Y product is a direct paternal lineage test." How will this tell you your mtDNA subhaplogroup?
Though the test targets the Y chromosome, it can't help but pick up MtDNA as well. It isn't perfect, I have a handful of no call and single reading positions, but the overall median depth coverage for my results is 28x.

Note that you will only get these results through secondary analysis of the raw data, not from FTDNA.
Old 16th December 2014, 09:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSDA View Post
Though the test targets the Y chromosome, it can't help but pick up MtDNA as well. .
In my case it picked up enough mtDNA is give me an independent haplogroup, which confirmed my result from Geno 2.0. Thus, if you do BigY, you don't have to do Geno 2.0 to get a general mtDNA haplogroup assignment.
Old 18th December 2014, 06:25 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
When you submit your BigY results for professional analysis (with a company such as YFull), they also provide an analysis of your mtdna. As for the Big Y test, I have found it to be invaluable. As someone whose only information about his paternal lineage (beyond my father) has been from genetic dna testing, the BigY has helped place the origin of my paternal lineage. I, fortunately, had another person who had done a deep paternal ancestry test. This helped to place my terminal SNP (to date; let's hope there are further results as more test) to a particular area around 500 CE. This may not sound promising to some, but for one who had no knowledge of his paternal grandfather, at least I have some identity for him, and myself.