Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics This is an area for those who are new to DNA testing for genealogy can ask about Y-DNA STR based tests and their test results. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30th August 2014, 05:06 PM
Hneel Hneel is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 46
37 to 67 upgrade. Is it worth it?

The reason I'm asking is:
I got 193 matches at 12 markers.
I got 54 matches at 25 markers.
I got 0 matches at 37 markers.

So I suppose at 67 markers I will also have 0 matches, right?

On the other hand: I recently found a match on ysearch with someone who had a GD of 6 at 37 markers and his most distant parental ancestor was also from the same area as mine. He was my best score at ysearch. But at FTDNA he only shows up in the 12 markers test.
This person was tested with 67 markers, so i wonder if it might be worthwhile to compare with 67 markers as well?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30th August 2014, 05:35 PM
lgmayka lgmayka is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hneel View Post
I got 0 matches at 37 markers.

So I suppose at 67 markers I will also have 0 matches, right?
Not necessarily. FTDNA's matching limit at 37 markers is 4, but at 67 markers, 7. Thus, someone's genetic distance from you may be 5 at 37 markers but 6 at 67 markers; that person will show up as a 67-marker match but not a 37-marker match.

I have even seen the most extreme case: My cousin has a 67-marker match at distance 7 who at 37 markers is also distance 7. In other words, they appeared to be far apart at 37 markers, but then exactly matched on the next 30 markers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 31st August 2014, 02:40 PM
1798 1798 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 4,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hneel View Post
The reason I'm asking is:
I got 193 matches at 12 markers.
I got 54 matches at 25 markers.
I got 0 matches at 37 markers.

So I suppose at 67 markers I will also have 0 matches, right?

On the other hand: I recently found a match on ysearch with someone who had a GD of 6 at 37 markers and his most distant parental ancestor was also from the same area as mine. He was my best score at ysearch. But at FTDNA he only shows up in the 12 markers test.
This person was tested with 67 markers, so i wonder if it might be worthwhile to compare with 67 markers as well?

A 67 marker test is ideal and one can learn a lot from it. There is a sale on at present.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 6th September 2014, 06:49 AM
John John is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cortland, New York
Posts: 28
Is it worth upgrading from 37-67 markers?

Hneel, are you in a rare haplogroup. If so then you'll have to play the waiting game, and it'll be worth it to have the additional markers when a better match comes along.

If you're not in a rare group, and maybe even if you are, do you know if there is any recLOH mutations in your results? They can make close matches appear much farther away than they should be. This happened to me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 6th September 2014, 12:11 PM
Solothurn Solothurn is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 243
I have a 60/67 and he is 30/37 I got the 67 before I knew about the 37 though!

In fact we are also 21/25
13 24 14 11 11 14 12 12 12 13 13 29 16 9 10 11 11 27 15 19 29 15 15 16 18

13 24 14 11 11 14 12 12 12 12 13 28 16 9 10 11 11 27 15 19 27 15 15 16 17

We are both U152+ S20550+

Last edited by Solothurn; 6th September 2014 at 12:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 6th September 2014, 02:31 PM
1798 1798 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 4,005
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solothurn View Post
I have a 60/67 and he is 30/37 I got the 67 before I knew about the 37 though!

In fact we are also 21/25
13 24 14 11 11 14 12 12 12 13 13 29 16 9 10 11 11 27 15 19 29 15 15 16 18

13 24 14 11 11 14 12 12 12 12 13 28 16 9 10 11 11 27 15 19 27 15 15 16 17

We are both U152+ S20550+
If you go to ysearch and use your first 12 markers plus 492=12 you may find more men in your subgroup. When you do find them you can check out the rest of their markers and see where they match. That will help you define the group.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 6th September 2014, 04:36 PM
Hneel Hneel is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 46
Well, I decided to add the 67 marker test.
I noticed that on ysearch it was easier to get results. At 37 markers I found someone who had a GD of only 6. (Most were 10+). He was even from roughly the same geographical area as my ancestor.
On FTDNA this same person only showed up in the 12 marker test. And he didn't stand out in any way. He was just one of the many.
Also, with 67 markers I hope it might be easier to predict a subclade.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 6th September 2014, 04:56 PM
Hneel Hneel is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Hneel, are you in a rare haplogroup. If so then you'll have to play the waiting game, and it'll be worth it to have the additional markers when a better match comes along.

If you're not in a rare group, and maybe even if you are, do you know if there is any recLOH mutations in your results? They can make close matches appear much farther away than they should be. This happened to me.
I've been wondering about the mutations too. I've heard that getting children at higher ages increases the chance of mutations. My most distant parental ancestor is 10 generations away. And 4 of those ancestors were 40+ fathers. I know that my most distant ancestor had 3 sons. All of those 3 branches have living (paternal line) offspring to this day. I wonder how much their y dna differs from mine. Perhaps I should ask one of them to take a test too.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 7th September 2014, 12:08 AM
1798 1798 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 4,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hneel View Post
Well, I decided to add the 67 marker test.
I noticed that on ysearch it was easier to get results. At 37 markers I found someone who had a GD of only 6. (Most were 10+). He was even from roughly the same geographical area as my ancestor.
On FTDNA this same person only showed up in the 12 marker test. And he didn't stand out in any way. He was just one of the many.
Also, with 67 markers I hope it might be easier to predict a subclade.
A lot of testers who match at 57 out of 67 have the same terminal SNP. If you look at the 67 marker modal that you are closest to it will also help you find your subgroup.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 7th September 2014, 09:44 AM
Solothurn Solothurn is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 243
Thanks 1798

I will give this a go. I also have a rare DYS511=9 in my subgroup, so I will include that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1798 View Post
If you go to ysearch and use your first 12 markers plus 492=12 you may find more men in your subgroup. When you do find them you can check out the rest of their markers and see where they match. That will help you define the group.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DNA Tribes, is it worth it? deniseneufeld DNA and Genealogy for Beginners 15 14th December 2017 09:06 AM
Is it worth to upgrade ? (Newbie) adr Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics 6 31st July 2014 11:01 AM
Would this be worth doing? jannie mtDNA - Genealogy Basics 5 30th March 2014 12:37 PM
Would this with worth the Upgrade jannie Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced 4 17th June 2013 11:55 AM
23andme - worth it? KCWelch DNA and Genealogy for Beginners 9 31st August 2011 07:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.


Family Tree DNA - World Headquarters

1445 North Loop West, Suite 820
Houston, Texas 77008, USA

Phone: (713) 868-1438 | Fax: (832) 201-7147
Copyright 2001-2010 Genealogy by Genetics, Ltd.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.