Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 28th March 2014, 08:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

Would this be worth doing?

My brother has done the y-dna and represents my fathers side (matches with 2 other males)and the family finder - at least has more matches. My cousin - last living male on my mother's side did the y-dna & matches with Many... (no similar surnames). He did the Family finder & had many matches, and matched my brother & I. I (female) did the family finder & matched with some -- but no surnames I recognized.
Would there be any value to have the mtdna done for any of us? As far as genealogy -My fathers side (I know only to early 1800's is Germany & a little Denmark. My mothers side is back to the late 1700's England - and several unknown.
I'm really looking for genealogy connections with the help of dna -- but so far has given more questions than answers.
Old 28th March 2014, 06:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

Cool

Of course it is wort it to have one's mtDNA fully tested (FMS test). This is especially true if your direct maternal line came from England. Your greater tree is not DNA-connected, but must be interesting delving back into Medieval times. For example, if you see a connection to Normandy, you may have Rollo, 1st Duke of Normandy (Viking) in your tree. There must be thousands of Anglo-Americans connected to him. His wife was Poppa of Bayeau(sp?). She is connected to Charlemagne, and thus connected to much of the aristocracy of western Europe. That means you could be connected to much of the aristocracy of western Europe. Start digging!
Old 29th March 2014, 12:28 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannie View Post
I (female) did the family finder & matched with some -- but no surnames I recognized.
Would there be any value to have the mtdna done for any of us? As far as genealogy -My fathers side (I know only to early 1800's is Germany & a little Denmark. My mothers side is back to the late 1700's England - and several unknown.
I'm really looking for genealogy connections with the help of dna -- but so far has given more questions than answers.
If you're wondering about matches, then no. It'll be too distant. If you're curious about ancient origin, then go for it. You mention Germany, Denmark and England but depending on which line comes from any of those places, you may find that it goes to some place else.

FTDNA recently updated their FAQs pages. They had it nicely done to where it would explain some things about the test, so you know what you'll get (for the most part) but now it's a mess. I was going to quote some things for you, but I should've printed it out instead.

Anyway, seriously on the matches, it's not good.
Old 29th March 2014, 12:33 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
My brother has done the y-dna and represents my fathers side (matches with 2 other males)and the family finder - at least has more matches. My cousin - last living male on my mother's side did the y-dna & matches with Many... (no similar surnames). He did the Family finder & had many matches, and matched my brother & I. I (female) did the family finder & matched with some -- but no surnames I recognized.
Short answer is no. Assuming that this will be done for matches, it's not good because it traces an ancient lineage and it's too far back.

It may however give you some insight into the origin of this one particular line of yours, whether it's England, Germany or Denmark or some other area. Other than that, it's not worth it.
Old 29th March 2014, 07:47 AM
R-BY39877

Quote:
If you are going to order mtDNA order the full test which is currently on sale. You and you brother should have the same mtDNA (assuming you have the same mother so only one of you would need to test).

One of the speakers at the last FTDNA conference in Houston reported that even with the full mtDNA test there is a 50% chance that the most recent common ancestor with your matches will be at least 9 generations back.
Old 30th March 2014, 12:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you for the ideas & assistance. Yes I'm really mostly interested in finding matches and common matches. My fathers/father is Germany. My male cousin - who represents my mothers side can trace to England (genealogy) in 1700's.

I appreciate the insights to what I find confusing !