Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 20th May 2018, 02:00 PM
Audela Audela is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
You have some Sephardic ancestry, That's what Eurogenes shows. Some Sephardic Jews have a Spanish component. That's probably where your Spanish comes from. You also have a non Jewish Levantine component--typical of Sicily. It is not an either or, Sicilians have Levantine origins to some extent. Suggest MH. It has some problems, but I think it will be of value in your case---wouldn't hurt. I do not trust MO and I am not alone.
Alright, well I did upload my Ftdna to MH, and MH reports 16.2% SJ. This came as a surprise. The Gedmatch Spanish percentages as well, since MO gives me 0 Iberian (yeah, I've read that MO is unreliable). I found a website which lists sephardi surnames, and my great-grandmother's name pops up in a list of "thousand of Sephardic names of immigrants to Brazil." That's a very weak clue but that's all I could find in terms of potential SJ connexion. Not gonna lose my sleep over it though. If I find a connexion/solid proof at some point, fine. If not, that's fine too. Thanks for your answers!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20th May 2018, 02:08 PM
josh w. josh w. is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audela View Post
Alright, well I did upload my Ftdna to MH, and MH reports 16.2% SJ. This came as a surprise. The Gedmatch Spanish percentages as well, since MO gives me 0 Iberian (yeah, I've read that MO is unreliable). I found a website which lists sephardi surnames, and my great-grandmother's name pops up in a list of "thousand of Sephardic names of immigrants to Brazil." That's a very weak clue but that's all I could find in terms of potential SJ connexion. Not gonna lose my sleep over it though. If I find a connexion/solid proof at some point, fine. If not, that's fine too. Thanks for your answers!

Your SJ percentages suggest one SJ grandparent. Ignore MO--there have been tons of complaints on the Forum over the past two years. You will probably find little foolproof records, e.g. No baptismal records. In other words, you will discover the Jewish experience.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20th May 2018, 02:51 PM
josh w. josh w. is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
Your SJ percentages suggest one SJ grandparent. Ignore MO--there have been tons of complaints on the Forum over the past two years. You will probably find little foolproof records, e.g. No baptismal records. In other words, you will discover the Jewish experience.
What do your FF matches indicate (Unlike MO, FF is fine) I mean, your most distant matches---last few pages. Any Jewish or Spanish.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 21st May 2018, 04:02 AM
Audela Audela is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 27
I don't have many matches (119), and not many Jewish or Spanish names. A few Polish and German-sounding names. A couple of Spanish sounding names. Either could be Jewish, or not. Also, some people in the database might be Jewish only on their mother side, or be married to a non Jew thus have a non Jewish name. That complicates the matter…
BTW, I also have a match with the admin of the project "Jewish and Italian myOrigins" but I don't know if he's Jewish or not. I did find 4-5 people with the same name as my great-grand-mother in a database of Italian survivors and victims of the Shoah, but most of them were from Trieste. Only one was from Campania (from Resina. My ggm was from Torre del Greco). I've read that Jewish people did adopt Christian names, so it doesn't prove anything. Plus, I've looked into a database of Jewish names, and my ggm's name is not in it. Name is Biscardo. Not a very common name (contrary to Biscardi).
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 21st May 2018, 12:16 PM
josh w. josh w. is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audela View Post
I don't have many matches (119), and not many Jewish or Spanish names. A few Polish and German-sounding names. A couple of Spanish sounding names. Either could be Jewish, or not. Also, some people in the database might be Jewish only on their mother side, or be married to a non Jew thus have a non Jewish name. That complicates the matter…
BTW, I also have a match with the admin of the project "Jewish and Italian myOrigins" but I don't know if he's Jewish or not. I did find 4-5 people with the same name as my great-grand-mother in a database of Italian survivors and victims of the Shoah, but most of them were from Trieste. Only one was from Campania (from Resina. My ggm was from Torre del Greco). I've read that Jewish people did adopt Christian names, so it doesn't prove anything. Plus, I've looked into a database of Jewish names, and my ggm's name is not in it. Name is Biscardo. Not a very common name (contrary to Biscardi).
Audela, I co-manage the Project. Vincent has definite Jewish lines. You might want to contact him. For Jews there never is certainty. Temples and graveyards have been destroyed. AJ did not have surnames until the 1800s. The symbol of the wandering Jew is quite accurate.
Josh

Last edited by josh w.; 21st May 2018 at 12:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 21st May 2018, 01:26 PM
Audela Audela is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 27
Thanks for that info Josh, I didn't know that. Apparently, there aren't many Jews in Italy nowadays. And yes, I'll contact Vincent. I'd really like to know more about my paternal grandmother's history. All I know is that she was born in Torre del Greco in 1922, and she left Italy and migrated to Algeria before 1948 (the date she married my grandfather). That's all I know.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 21st May 2018, 06:33 PM
josh w. josh w. is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audela View Post
Thanks for that info Josh, I didn't know that. Apparently, there aren't many Jews in Italy nowadays. And yes, I'll contact Vincent. I'd really like to know more about my paternal grandmother's history. All I know is that she was born in Torre del Greco in 1922, and she left Italy and migrated to Algeria before 1948 (the date she married my grandfather). That's all I know.
Clarification, when I mentioned "definite' evidence, I meant evidence of good probability but not certainty. Dna estimates are only probable estimates

Last edited by josh w.; 21st May 2018 at 06:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:56 AM
Audela Audela is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
Clarification, when I mentioned "definite' evidence, I meant evidence of good probability but not certainty. Dna estimates are only probable estimates
What do you think of the Global25 analysis? Is it worth a try?

Quote:
If you really want to confirm your Jewish ancestry, either or both Ashkenazi and Sephardi, then you need to look at much more powerful and sophisticated options. One of these options is the Global25 analysis (see HERE), which can pick up minor Jewish ancestry of just a few per cent
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 22nd May 2018, 08:27 AM
josh w. josh w. is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audela View Post
What do you think of the Global25 analysis? Is it worth a try?
Feel free to do more testing, but you already have your answer. Three tests already show Jewish ancestry. The Jewish and Italian project manager already knows the location and can share his views on MO. Some people are fine with just one test result.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Family Tree DNA - World Headquarters

1445 North Loop West, Suite 820
Houston, Texas 77008, USA

Phone: (713) 868-1438 | Fax: (832) 201-7147
Copyright 2001-2010 Genealogy by Genetics, Ltd.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.