Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Old 9th September 2013, 12:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

identifying a half brother

I invite opinions on how best to verify that two men are half brothers. We've discovered the relationship by comparing the autosomal results of one man's niece and the other's daughter; they are clearly first cousins, once removed. Other evidence seems to confirm that the two men had the same father, but we know they did not have the same mother.

One man has already taken a paternal lineage test with Ancestry. I'm considering ordering a Y-DNA67 test for the other man, partly in hopes of strengthening the case for the half-brother relationship but also to learn more about what I anticipate is their shared male line.

One of my specific questions is how best to compare the two tests: one from Ancestry and one from FTDNA.

Also, I know that there are sibling tests, but I know nothing about them.

Any ideas? Anyone with experience answering a similar question?
Old 9th September 2013, 04:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

clarification

Sorry; I garbled my explanation slightly. The two men are the first cousin of one woman and the father of the other, and that's why the two women are first cousins, once removed. We do believe that the two men are half brothers sons of the same father; the father would be the first woman's uncle and the second woman's grandfather.
Old 9th September 2013, 04:44 PM
FTDNA Customer

If both men have done a yDNA test, you can manually check the values between the companies, taking note off how each marker is listed differently between the 2 companies.

http://www.ysearch.org/conversion_page.asp#OA

But keep in mind, identical yDNA does not mean they share the same father, for example one father maybe a brother or an uncle to the other. It will show however that they will share a common paternal ancestor if they match though.

You also have the option of transferring ancestry yDNA 33 and 46 to FTDNA for $19. This option does not give person matches but allows person to join projects.

Another options is to do autosomal tests on each men. Can be done at separate companies and then utilizing Gedmatch to compare or by transferring Ancestry test to FTDNA for $69. Personally would just order a new test for each men at one or the other and save transfer fee. Currently $99 at both companies. This in my opinion would be the best route to take, as it will state relationship range.