Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 19th January 2012, 05:44 AM
FTDNA Customer

Three new matches for me. I'm now up to 88. I had gone since 12/20/11 with no new matches.
Old 19th January 2012, 03:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

I see people keep getting new matches, but I still have the same boring 5 matches that seem to have been there for ages. One of them is listed as a third cousin, that's the only one I sent an email to, but never received an answer. What's worse is that none of my matches have any ancestral surnames or places of origin listed. Three are obviously Spanish/Hispanic, while the other two appear to be Anglo-American/Germanic or Irish. I can't really tell, except the Irish one. Anyway, I was hoping to see something new.
Old 19th January 2012, 09:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

I'm waiting for FTDNA to start the 23andme transfer option so my father will finally have a match; so far, he doesn't have a single mtDNA or FF match of any kind.
Old 20th January 2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCarlos View Post
I see people keep getting new matches, but I still have the same boring 5 matches that seem to have been there for ages. One of them is listed as a third cousin, that's the only one I sent an email to, but never received an answer. What's worse is that none of my matches have any ancestral surnames or places of origin listed. Three are obviously Spanish/Hispanic, while the other two appear to be Anglo-American/Germanic or Irish. I can't really tell, except the Irish one. Anyway, I was hoping to see something new.
JuanCarlos,

I am in a similar boat as you. No new matches for me yet in 2012 either. I have 54 total, and like you, only one 3rd cousin. Mine responded though, but we have yet to be able to connect the dots. Guess we have to keep waiting....

Judy
Old 20th January 2012, 02:20 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolnacsj View Post
JuanCarlos,

I am in a similar boat as you. No new matches for me yet in 2012 either. I have 54 total, and like you, only one 3rd cousin. Mine responded though, but we have yet to be able to connect the dots. Guess we have to keep waiting....

Judy
Yes, I guess we'll have to wait for a significant increase in the number of FF orders, before seeing more matches. I wish people would at least list their family surnames and countries of origin.
Old 22nd January 2012, 07:20 PM
FTDNA Customer

I know what you mean, JuanCarlos, I only have like 9 matches and two of them are family members I see every day, 4 of them are 5th cousin-remote non-Hispanics, and the rests is an actual 4th cousin who's tested his family. Finding him has been the most exciting part of this test... but 7 matches, not counting my immediate family, is still pretty low. I don't think there's a sizable population of Hispanics in the database (and even less Cuban-Americans).
Old 22nd January 2012, 08:00 PM
mtDNA: H1ak

My Cuban-American husband is holding steady with 8 FF matches, 953 12/12 yDNA matches, one 23/25, no 37 marker matches and naturally, no 67 marker matches. Good thing he's not a genealogy buff or he'd be disappointed.

He is R1b1a2 L513-
Old 22nd January 2012, 08:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahernandez View Post
I know what you mean, JuanCarlos, I only have like 9 matches and two of them are family members I see every day, 4 of them are 5th cousin-remote non-Hispanics, and the rests is an actual 4th cousin who's tested his family. Finding him has been the most exciting part of this test... but 7 matches, not counting my immediate family, is still pretty low. I don't think there's a sizable population of Hispanics in the database (and even less Cuban-Americans).
That is certainly true.
Old 23rd January 2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCarlos View Post
Yes, I guess we'll have to wait for a significant increase in the number of FF orders, before seeing more matches. I wish people would at least list their family surnames and countries of origin.
Yes, I wish more people would include a surname list and countries of origin also, and a Gedcom if they can. I also wish they would all upload their results to Gedmatch.

Well, it is a new week. I sure hope more new matches come in as I am still batting zero for the new year. I want to know what it feels like to have a close FF match come in! OK, complaint session over.....

Judy
Old 26th January 2012, 01:16 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Has anyone gotten any new matches since January 17? Is the lab able to process a batch every week, or do they only post new results every other week?

I keep hoping that, with all the kits sold during the sale, I'll get a few new matches at least. Only one new one last week.

Carol Anne