Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 21st January 2012, 10:42 AM
FTDNA Customer

I would just look at your actual match list. If you had measurable Ashkenazi ancestry, then you should have at least several Ashkenazi matches. Those genes stick around for hundreds of years. If you don't, it's probably just because there is no Polish sample population, so to place your average southeast of the English Channel and towards Poland, you have "Mideast" added to Orkneys.
Old 21st January 2012, 11:17 AM

Thanks Javelin

That does make sense about the line stretching from the Orkneys towards the MEast.
Old 21st January 2012, 11:19 AM

Would autosomal testing...

Show Ashkenazi? That's all the testing I've had done so far...
Old 22nd January 2012, 01:32 PM

Cool Just rec'd Dr. McDonald's results...

JosephMadden220564-autosomal-o-results.csv

Most likely fit is 68.2% (+- 14.7%) Europe (all Western Europe)

and 31.8% (+- 14.7%) Europe (various subcontinents)

which is 100% total Europe

The following are possible population sets and their fractions,

most likely at the top

French= 0.605 Lithuani= 0.395

English= 0.705 Belorus= 0.295

English= 0.791 Lithuani= 0.209

Irish= 0.566 Hungary= 0.434

Spain= 0.426 Lithuani= 0.574

Irish= 0.795 Romania= 0.205

Irish= 0.883 Tuscan= 0.117

which is saying the same thing as FTDNA is ... your ancestry, on average,

is where th green dot on the map is.

The small non-Euro spots on the chromosomes are probably insignificant, though

the African one is likely real.

Doug McDonald

The African one is likely real which makes sense if you go back about 2,000 years or maybe its more recent. The Jewish markers are still there but not in significant enough amounts. Still, a little Jewish is better than none.
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:24 AM
llanphere

Dr. Mcdonald

Curious as to how to get Dr. McDonalds analysis and what he needs to do this analysis.

My father had the Family Finder test completed and he is 90 Western European (French, Ordician and Spanish) and 9.8 % Russian, Romanian, european. My Geneology records indicated that his father side (lanphere) originated in France, but none of the other families.

his paternal side ( from my records) indicated she is Irish and German. The paternal side is French, Irish and German. How could he be 90% French/Spanish then? Just confused.. this stuff is over my head
Old 10th February 2012, 05:31 AM
FTDNA Customer

I received my population finder results yesterday. They are:

Europe (Western European) 90.76%
Middle East 9.24%

Below the map, I have the following populations listed:

Europe (Western European) - Orcadian
Middle East - Palestinian, Adygei, Bedouin, Bedouin South, Druze, Iranian, Jewish

I'm still waiting on my FF results, due 3/7/12. Based on my paper trail, my ancestors were mostly from the British Isles with a couple of German lines. My lines are mostly southern colonial, with two Mayflower lines as well. The most recent German immigrant on my maternal side is 7 generations back. There is some mystery surrounding that immigrant, but he married in the Catholic Church. It's possible his family was originally Jewish, but if so, it was kept quiet once he immigrated to the US.

My paternal grandmother was born in Hungary. I've been told that her maiden name is a German one, and her family lived in an area known to have a significant German population. She also claims to have been Catholic when she was a girl (now Protestant). She married a World War II serviceman (my grandfather) and came to the US with him. Based on the limited information she has provided, I don't think her family was Jewish. However, they could have had some Jewish ancestry.

Based on other's results and my paper trail, does it make sense that the Middle East portion probably comes from my Hungarian grandmother? I've read on this forum that many Italians are getting Middle East results, but I haven't found much about Hungarians. Also I'm guessing any German is included in my Western European results, but the British Isles component is dominant. Any comments are very much appreciated.

Emy
Old 10th February 2012, 06:02 AM

We have almost the exact results on PF...

Which leads me to believe that you may receive similar results from Doc McDonald.
Check his results on this post and you'll see what I mean.
Old 10th February 2012, 06:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

Joe,

Very interesting! I can't wait to get my raw data and send forward to Dr. McDonald to compare.

My grandmother's family lived in the area around Pecs, Hungary. I have read that Pecs was under Ottoman rule until about 1686. Then in 1688, German settlers arrived. At the time, only about one quarter of the city's population was Hungarian, the others were Germans or Southern Slavs. Pecs is in the county of Baranya, and my grandmother's paternal grandparents appear to have been primarily from small villages in Baranya. Supposedly, Baranya has the largest number of minorities in Hungary, including Germans and Southern Slav minorities. My grandmother's maternal family, however, was from Tolna, and their surname was a common Hungarian surname, rather than a German one.

I will post more when I receive my other results. Thanks for your reply!

Emy
Old 10th February 2012, 07:10 AM
FTDNA Customer

PF and Doug's Map

On Population Finder I was 95.23% Europe (all Western Europe) and 4.77% Middle East. Having read Dr. McDonald's results for people of Northwest European ancestry, he notes that these people average 4.5% Middle East. So, I am about average for my region of origin. Perhaps this small amount of Middle East is very ancient.

But when I recieved my results from Doug, I was surprised to see a blue (Middle East) dot in the northwest corner of Syria. Since no Middle East showed on the chromosone painting I queried him. He replied that, while it could be Middle East, it also happens that ancestry east of Ireland can masquerade as Middle East.

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/4...hroederful.png
Old 10th February 2012, 07:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emyr View Post
I received my population finder results yesterday. They are:

Europe (Western European) 90.76%
Middle East 9.24%

Below the map, I have the following populations listed:

Europe (Western European) - Orcadian
Middle East - Palestinian, Adygei, Bedouin, Bedouin South, Druze, Iranian, Jewish
Here is my PF map to go with my results. I'm definitely a newbie in terms of DNA research so I really don't how much the maps vary when people have similar percentage breakdowns and populations.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pop-finder-map-img.aspx (PN...pdf (59.6 KB, 27 views)