Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 27th July 2011, 09:11 AM
Europa

Red face Jewish PF Results

I am waiting on my Family finder results. Will this give me the PF results you are posting here?
Old 27th July 2011, 09:41 AM
Grynszpan

Sure. Here is what I got from the FTDNA Population Finder:

Europe French, Orcadian, Romanian, Spanish 76.75% +/-11.08%
Middle East (Jewish) Jewish 23.25% +/-11.08%

This caused me to call on Dr. McDonald because a couple of things didn't make sense to me based on my research. First, I find no evidence of any Spanish or Romanian ancestry within the last 5-6 generations, or at any time before that. Also, the Jewish percentage seemed low to me, again based on "traditional" research I had done. He came back with a likely 50/50 split between English (which could include the Germans that I can document) and Jewish.

I think the reason for the different results might have something to do with the fact that one my lines was Jewish but converted in the 1600s when Switzerland started persecuting Jews. I have information on that line back to the 1500s because one of the descendants became a Mormon.

Brian Sullivan
Old 16th January 2012, 02:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

I know it's an old thread...

...but I just found it. This is what I had through paper records:

1/4 Slovak (25.000%)
1/4 German (1/16 Alsace (6.25%), 1/16 Bavaria (6.25%), 1/8 Prussia (12.500%)) (25.000%)
1/4 Polish (25.000%)
1/8 Irish (from Co. Monaghan) (12.500%)
1/16 Jewish (6.25%) ***
1/16 Scottish (6.25%)

From Dr. McDonald:
Most likely fit is 81.7% (+- 0.8%) Europe (all Western Europe)
and 18.3% (+- 0.8%) Mideast (all Caucasus Area)

The following are possible population sets and their fractions, most likely at the top

Irish= 0.809 Georgian= 0.191
Irish= 0.825 Armenian= 0.175

which is averaging the right place. However the following also fit well and “sound” better:

Tuscan= 0.469 Lithuani= 0.531
Irish= 0.091 Hungary= 0.909
English= 0.190 Hungary= 0.810
French= 0.065 Hungary= 0.935
Irish= 0.553 Romania= 0.447

From FTDNA PF:

Europe (Western European) Orcadian 85.67% +/-2.95%
Middle East Palestinian, Adygei, Druze, Iranian, Jewish 14.33% +/-2.95%

*** I had heard from a 2nd cousin that our great grandmother was Jewish. I was hoping to get some confirmation with FF and PF but not entirely sure I have it from PF (the matches of FF, not sure, don't appear to be Jewish names for the most part, but some of my matches' matches seem overwhelmingly Jewish, if that makes sense)
Old 20th January 2012, 06:13 AM

Here you go....

MY PF shows

94.24 + - 1.82 Orcadian

5.76 + - 1.82 ME Palestinian, Adygei, Bedouin,
Bedouin South, Druze, Iranian,Jewish,Mazobite

My father's roots are Polish which makes sense when you take into account the Adygei and my Mom always felt my Dad had some Jewish ancestry since my grandfather changed his name from Medynski to Madden(although this may have been an immigration typo). Good to know. The other portions knocked my socks off. Too cool.

I'll let you know what Dr. M says when I get the results back.
Old 20th January 2012, 06:56 AM

Another question...

Is the Middle Eastern portion of my PF an admixture? Is the Palestinian portion old Yishuv (that is to say, Palestinian Jewish)?
I know it maybe impossible to tell. The Orcadian portion of my ancestry seems to be very narrow, no mention of French, which probably means that the mixtures that occurred probably did so recently.
Old 20th January 2012, 07:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Madden View Post
Is the Middle Eastern portion of my PF an admixture? Is the Palestinian portion old Yishuv (that is to say, Palestinian Jewish)?
I know it maybe impossible to tell. The Orcadian portion of my ancestry seems to be very narrow, no mention of French, which probably means that the mixtures that occurred probably did so recently.
My guess is that your Middle Eastern component derived from PopulationFinder is in fact, Jewish. I am basing that on what you have told us so far about your Polish ancestry -- and known history of the huge Jewish population that one lived in Poland.

The "Orcadian" PopulationFinder picks up not only in you but in countless people on this site? For the most part, I consider that not believable. For this site, it's a odd way of saying western European. My father is part-French-Canadian and both he and I get the Orcadian designation. Our French-Canadian ancestry is being confirmed over and over again by our cousins as their ancestral names and family traditions point to France, Acadia and Quebec.
Old 20th January 2012, 09:35 AM

I have the same French Canadian roots...

On me ma's side, that's why I was asking about the Orcadian background.
I did read elsewhere on the site that just because it says Orcadian doesn't mean it doesn't include French, German etc. Its probably where the genetic ancestry sprang from a thousand years ago or so.
Old 20th January 2012, 07:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

That level is likely too low to mean much -- it could just point to your ancestry placing on average a little southeast (i.e. towards the Near East) as compared to the Orkneys.
Old 21st January 2012, 01:07 AM
FTDNA Customer

Family tradition of a Jewish background (stories repeated over and over through the generations) is a possible indication of Jewish ancestry. Sometimes though, sudden awareness of the possibility comes up in a family member's DNA test.

It's very possible that one of your southern U.S. ancestors had Jewish ancestry. Examine your tree to see if there are any German-sounding names listed. German-speaking immigrants (Jews, Lutherans, Catholics) often settled near one another. The south acquired many immigrants who were German-speakers contrary to what most people might believe.

All posters are making very good and useful points here regarding possible Jewish ancestry. This thread is very interesting.

Last edited by mixedkid; 21st January 2012 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Somehow, I lost the quote from the poster writing about southern U.S. ancestry.
Old 21st January 2012, 07:33 AM

The only Polish names I know of...

are the previously mentioned Medynski and Shandroski. I have checked the family tress of some of my matches and there are several German names as well as Norwegian and Polish.
The ME portion may just be where the admixture occurred in the recent past or distant past as Javelin has suggested. Maybe Ashkenazi?
I do know that my father had darker skin than usual and I tend to be a little darker, although I have had red hair mixed with my dark brown for some time.
This could be the Norwegian stock or it could be Ashkenazi...
Methinks a little more testing maybe necessary.