Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 10th July 2018, 01:04 AM
FTDNA Customer

New probability tool at dnapainter

... for scenarios where you have multiple matches >40cM who are all known descendants of the same ancestral couple, and you want to test your ideas about how "X" person could fit into the tree. See: http://thednageek.com/science-the-he...ur-dna-part-7/
Old 10th July 2018, 10:49 AM
FTDNA Customer

Nice to know the tool exists, but how many people have the DNA matches to use this tool?

"Before you use the tool, your target person should have: Multiple DNA matches of 40 cM or more who are all descended in known ways from the same ancestor or couple (A few matches below 40 cM are fine, too)

At GEDmatch I have a total of two people who match me for 40 cM or more and they are on different family lines.

I don't see that I will ever be able to use this tool.
Old 11th July 2018, 07:58 AM
FTDNA Customer

Interesting tool
I have two cases in my family I will be using this tool to
assist in my analysis
I will let you know how it goes.
Since I will be away from home until September it may be
a few weeks
Old 11th July 2018, 08:19 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thinking more about one of my cases
Some of the people tested in this famil are actually
double cousins to someone one generation below the
top couple.
Will the tool be able to handle this case?
Old 11th July 2018, 04:10 PM
FTDNA Customer

The beta version of the tool "was not designed for double cousins", and I don't know whether it's been tweaked since then.

If you're on facebook, you can join the (closed) group DNA Painter: What Are The Odds? and ask there. Or you could post a comment on thednageek's blog http://thednageek.com/science-the-he...ur-dna-part-7/ although you may have to register first.

A third option is to make contact via the dnapainter site (I can't access it right now; from memory there's an email address for questions). But the other two options are more direct.