Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics This is an area for those who are new to DNA testing for genealogy can ask about Y-DNA STR based tests and their test results. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 9th July 2018, 03:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

Few matches at Y-37

My 1st cousin (male) whose late mother and my father were siblings did Y-37 DNA with FTDNA a few months back. He had taken atDNA earlier and so I had encouraged him to see if he might get further insight into the origins or surname grouping of his patrilineal line.

To date he just has 2 matches showing for his 37 markers, both with GD=3. One of the matches shows as having done Y-111 and the other has also done Y-37. Both matches have separate and distinct surnames compare to his.

Iím wondering if anyone else here has tested at 37 Y markers and found such a low number of matches ? In my own case I was far more fortunate at 37 markers with matches spanning 1-4 GD @ 37 , the vast majority of which are Little or a variant of Little. However, I realise that a lot of male Littles have tested across the continents and so I have been able to determine that my Littles descend from the Borders /Debateable land Littles and Iíve recently had SNP determined via a specific SNP pack for R1b which gives further confirmation of a haplogroup estimated as 800yrs old which is predominated by Littles. Iím managing to pick up male Littles who are potentially 12th+ cousins via Y37/STR results.

In my cousinís case his surname is a relatively common Irish surname (in the top 20) and I know that a FTDNA surname group certainly exists for the name. It seems to me that such a low match count indicates that he must come from a male line which is rare with low emigration levels (emigrants in North America forming the bulk of people tested to date, etc).

Is it possible that my cousin's match who apparently tested Y-111 might be seeing some other possible matches when matching across that broader marker range which might be a hint to other potential matches which might be revealed to my cousin should he upgrade to a higher STR count testing, e.g. 67/111 ?
Old 9th July 2018, 09:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

It is possible that there are uncommon STR results in a field or two that could make for fewer matches. If your cousin joined the group for his haplogroup, giving the admins limited access the admins could give better guidance knowing the haplogroup better to know if there is something uncommon in the results or if it is just that people haven't tested.
Old 10th July 2018, 05:01 AM
FTDNA Customer

Can you check his STR results and see if there is anything peculiar there, particularly Nulls (zeros). I suspect that a Null STR value may be throwing off my Y-67 results.
Old 10th July 2018, 07:01 AM
R-BY39877

My wife's cousin has no matches at 37 markers and does not have any null values. He has over 1,000 12 marker matches. He is R-M269.
Old 10th July 2018, 10:29 AM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

My father doesn't have a single match, even at 12 markers.
Old 10th July 2018, 11:38 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
My father doesn't have a single match, even at 12 markers.
That really is curious. I wonder if any of his recent patrilineal ancestors experienced conditions which could have bump up the mutation rate?

Jack
Old 10th July 2018, 11:51 AM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

My grandfather immigrated from Cappella sul Tavo, Abruzzo, Italy. I suspect that few Italians from that area have tested.
Old 10th July 2018, 12:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
My grandfather immigrated from Cappella sul Tavo, Abruzzo, Italy. I suspect that few Italians from that area have tested.
Yes, probably so. Maybe just a guess on my part, but at one time I estimated that about one out of a thousand USA males did Y-DNA testing, but for the rest of the world it was more like one out of ten thousand. We have a lot of uncovered ground.

Jack