Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics This is an area for those who are new to DNA testing for genealogy can ask about Y-DNA STR based tests and their test results. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 2nd May 2018, 06:31 PM
FTDNA Customer

Smile illegitimate child finding father

Hi, This is my first post on here. I am currently researching my husbands family tree and have been very successful at finding relatives and filling in gaps and puzzles so far. However, my Mother in Law does not know who her grandfather was. Her mother was illegitimate and there is no record of the father. So my SIL suggested my MIL do a DNA test. She has done this and I have registered it with FTDNA and Gedmatch. This has produced many matches but I have no idea how to start sifting through them to try and find her grandfather. This DNA thing is all gobbledy gook to me and I just don't know where to start. Can someone tell me what to look for to find this man ?
Old 2nd May 2018, 07:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

If you have not already, I would suggest joining the DNA Detectives Facebook Group

Code:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DNADetectives/
Old 4th May 2018, 04:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigirl View Post
Hi, This is my first post on here. I am currently researching my husbands family tree and have been very successful at finding relatives and filling in gaps and puzzles so far. However, my Mother in Law does not know who her grandfather was. Her mother was illegitimate and there is no record of the father. So my SIL suggested my MIL do a DNA test. She has done this and I have registered it with FTDNA and Gedmatch. This has produced many matches but I have no idea how to start sifting through them to try and find her grandfather. This DNA thing is all gobbledy gook to me and I just don't know where to start. Can someone tell me what to look for to find this man ?
Try to look at the matches together and see if the family trees make any sense, or if there are surnames in common...hopefully, she took the autosomal test...
Old 4th May 2018, 06:03 PM
FTDNA Customer

illegitimate child finding father

Thanks. I have requested to join the DNA detectives. I will have to check as to what type of test my MIL did.