Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > Scientific Papers

Scientific Papers For talk of scientific papers on population genetics, archaeology, and anthropology related to DNA and personal ancestry testing.

Old 20th March 2018, 11:16 AM
FTDNA Customer

David Reich's New Book On Prehistoric Lines

NY Times. David Reich of Harvard is out with a new book on prehistoric and ancient lines. It provides comprehensive global coverage from lines ranging from Denisovians to Neolithic Farmers to Pacific Islanders to Bantus.
Old 21st March 2018, 09:52 AM
FTDNA Customer

"Prehistoric" covers a huge span of time. While the number of samples of "prehistoric" DNA has increased dramatically, I think caution is required in interpreting the results. The patterns that are emerging could easily be upset by new samples, and that seems to be what is actually happening: every couple weeks, ancient samples seem to reveal some new interaction or migration of prehistoric populations. I think it will be a few years, and many thousands more samples sequenced, before things begin to settle down.
Old 21st March 2018, 11:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCoy View Post
"Prehistoric" covers a huge span of time. While the number of samples of "prehistoric" DNA has increased dramatically, I think caution is required in interpreting the results. The patterns that are emerging could easily be upset by new samples, and that seems to be what is actually happening: every couple weeks, ancient samples seem to reveal some new interaction or migration of prehistoric populations. I think it will be a few years, and many thousands more samples sequenced, before things begin to settle down.
Reich would agree. His approach was not intended to give the final word