Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 8th January 2009, 07:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKF View Post
Hope you can find a way to get tested, I certainly do not regret a penny spent with decodeme and 23andme...
Is one lab preferrable to the other? Is DeCode sinking with the Icelandic economy? I know DeCode runs more SNP's. Is one service easier to use? What is DeCode's coverage of X compared to 23etMoi?
Old 9th January 2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen Carrow View Post
I have a close FGS match who has one extra mutation but we have an ancestral spot of our mtDNA ancestors of near Bantry Bay in Cork c. 1837-41.. we match on the Coding region exactly..His sisters and my sister and I share many many markers on our X profiles..
however we do NOT share the X haploblock at DXS 10074-10075-10079 nor do we share the mini block at DXS 10066-67-68.

I DO however share one of my X blocks with one person and the other one with another person.. he is currently testing another relative as am I..we have shared know names

They are minimal in expense at FTDNA and are a good starting point and Thomas Krahn has that interactive database at DNA-FP..there are currently 518 users with datasets displayed there..(Which is free)

If everyone who could not currently afford 23and me who has tested and has a sample at FTDA tested those markers it would be only about $50-60 with a free interactive database that has e-mails attached..

But maybe I do not understand the relevance of the whole genome study?
Many of us have done most of it in bits and pieces..
FGS, Y lines for every ancestor we can find..X and at markers for siblings...
I only have the one sister but I did my son who shares one block of course..
Tom has done a PACK of siblings..bless him..

all are welcome
Here is a link to the original paper where these markers are analyzed:

http://www.excli.de/vol6/Hering06-07proof.pdf

Guess I better test these too. I know what my SNPs are in this region of the X. It would be interesting to also have the STRs from this area with high linkage disquilibrium (in other words the region is unlikely to be split by recombination) - although there is variability in this region so I will check on the level of cM/Mb in the specific area (the lower the better) and can be more specific in a later post.
Old 9th January 2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
Is one lab preferrable to the other? Is DeCode sinking with the Icelandic economy? I know DeCode runs more SNP's. Is one service easier to use? What is DeCode's coverage of X compared to 23etMoi?
Each has their advantages and disadvantages. The price factor is clearly in favor of 23andme, but to date they don't have a browser like that of decodeme to compare degree of matching between members of various population groups (for example).

I think I will wait a bit and see if the latter brings down their price or the former develops more sophistocated tools to interpret the results. The Ancestry Painting is good, but mostly for novices happy with a "general idea" about things.
Old 9th January 2009, 04:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKF View Post
...Guess I better test these too. I know what my SNPs are in this region of the X. It would be interesting to also have the STRs from this area with high linkage disquilibrium (in other words the region is unlikely to be split by recombination) - although there is variability in this region so I will check on the level of cM/Mb in the specific area (the lower the better) and can be more specific in a later post.
Was just thinking the same. The haploblock STR's could yield higher resolution. Although they are in an LD block they are not constrained from adding or dropping repeats. But you need a match on the block as defined by SNP's in order to make any sense of the STR repeat motifs.
Old 9th January 2009, 03:32 PM
mtDNA: J2b1a1(a) | Y-DNA: I2a1a | Horse Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
Was just thinking the same. The haploblock STR's could yield higher resolution. Although they are in an LD block they are not constrained from adding or dropping repeats. But you need a match on the block as defined by SNP's in order to make any sense of the STR repeat motifs.

I don't understand..I have the Block with STRs? or do I have SNPS??
DXS10074 = 8-15
DXS10075 = 16-18
DXS10079 = 16-18

so my blocks are 8-18-18 AND 15-16-16 one form Dad and one from Mom but WHERE are my SNPS?
Is that something I should have?
Old 9th January 2009, 04:10 PM

I am all ears also

Oh, the error message tells me I must add 10 characters to my smile. Other than Colchaire and me I was at a loss to fill out this requirement.
Old 9th January 2009, 04:44 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:

I don't understand..I have the Block with STRs? or do I have SNPS??
DXS10074 = 8-15
DXS10075 = 16-18
DXS10079 = 16-18

so my blocks are 8-18-18 AND 15-16-16 one form Dad and one from Mom but WHERE are my SNPS?
Is that something I should have?
The SNPs are tested by 23andMe. David and Tomcat were discussing how it might be possible to get more information about ancestors who contributed to their x chromosome by combining SNP testing from 23andMe and STR testing from FTDNA.
Old 9th January 2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaddi View Post
The SNPs are tested by 23andMe. David and Tomcat were discussing how it might be possible to get more information about ancestors who contributed to their x chromosome by combining SNP testing from 23andMe and STR testing from FTDNA.
Thanks for the information..did not have a clue
IS 23andme all SNPS?
I guess both together would be very informational but the STRs ( Haploblocks ) could be also if enough test..

I mentioned this earlier but my J2b closest FGS match altho' his family did NOT match the haploblock, they ( his sisters) match my Sister and I on a lot of X markers..
Which Tom Krahn had indicated travel in a block relatively unchanged for maybe 1000 years?
Old 9th January 2009, 09:33 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
...IS 23andme all SNPS?
I guess both together would be very informational but the STRs ( Haploblocks ) could be also if enough test...
Which Tom Krahn had indicated travel in a block relatively unchanged for maybe 1000 years?
Yes the genome scanners are all SNP testers. And some the X SNP's they test indicate X blocks that are in linkage disequilibrium (not subject to recombination) and one of those LD blocks covers the same area as the LD X STR's that FTDNA tests.

SNP's are generally assumed to be unique event polymorphims (UEP's) that occurred only once. So, the X SNP's that differentiate Native Americans from Africans, for example, must have accumulated over dozens of millenia. Hence X SNP's are assumed to be very useful in establishing general ancestry to a good degree of certainty.

X STR's, even if in linkage disequilibrium, are free to add or drop repeats. And while the clock rate for such germ line mutations is not established, it is assumed to be much more rapid than SNP mutation. So, when one combines X SNP LD blocks with X STR's within those blocks one ought to be able to get very fine grained detail on ancestry and/or information on more recent ancestry within the frame of general ancestry.

Taking a lesson from Y testing, I don't know if LD X STR's would be enough to establish ancestry absent the SNP frame of reference. But certainly the two in combination would yield much more detailed information and a higher degree of certainty that ancestry-informative STR matches are not just chance.
Old 10th January 2009, 11:45 AM

Check this out

For those of you who do not visit the Rootsweb DNA Genealogy list there is a great post from Jim Turner giving a link to forms that he apparently put together showing percentages of inheritance on X markers..

Kudos to him!
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-01/1231607913