Brothers - different haplogroups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brothers - different haplogroups

Thru The Genographic Project, both I and my brother's son received our Y-DNA certificates. Based on the certificates, I belong to haplogroup J2 and he, to J1. Is this feasible if my brother and I had the same father? My brother, my father, and my mother are deceased.

Chuck
  • Jim Honeychuck
    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by chuckmg View Post
    Thru The Genographic Project, both I and my brother's son received our Y-DNA certificates. Based on the certificates, I belong to haplogroup J2 and he, to J1. Is this feasible if my brother and I had the same father? My brother, my father, and my mother are deceased.

Chuck
    J1 and J2 are hard to distinguish based solely on STRs. They are actually defined by SNPs, and to what extent the Genographic Project uses SNPs, I don't know.

I myself was originally J2, until further testing found me to be J1.

Regards,
    Jim

Comment

• efgen
      Webinar Coordinator
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by chuckmg View Post

Chuck
      No, you should definitely have the same haplogroup as your nephew. Genographic haplogroups are often predicted, but if they can't get a confident prediction, then they run a SNP test to be certain of the haplogroup. But in this case, something appears to be throwing off one of the predictions. Are your 12 marker values exactly the same as your nephew's or are there any differences? If there's a difference (which is OK between family members), that could be causing the predictions to be different... although ideally, this still shouldn't happen. But as Jim says, sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between J1 and J2 when simply doing a prediction.

Have you transferred the two sets of results to FTDNA? If not, you can do so at the very bottom of your respective Genographic results pages... see the "What else can I do with my results" section.

I would also recommend contacting FTDNA about this issue... they do the testing for the Genographic project. I think they'll be more than willing to run a SNP test on both samples to determine which haplogroup is correct. Email [email protected]

Elise

Comment

• Jim Barrett
        R-BY55907
        • Apr 2003

Chuck, do you and your nephew have the same values for your 12 markers?

I suggest both samples be moved to FTDNA. This is done for free. Join you surname project. Order additional markers. Your markers should be close and FTDNA should predict the same Haplogroup. You may want to order deep clade test.
        Last edited by Jim Barrett; 4 November 2009, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• rucksack
          • Aug 2008

Don't feed the spammer known as romance_1988

Do NOT click on ANYTHING that romance_1988 posts.

He / She is just a nasty SPAMMER; the authorities have been notified!

Comment

• rucksack
            • Aug 2008

Don't feed the spammer known as whojackli669

Do NOT click on ANYTHING that whojackli669 posts.

He / She is just a nasty SPAMMER; the authorities have been notified!

Comment

Working...
            X