Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Recreation Room

Recreation Room This is a good place for chatting about off topic subjects and just having fun together. Keep the humor PG13 and things friendly please.

Old 20th January 2018, 02:54 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Looking for a Good DNA Forum

My questions are never answered here. This forum has become a place basically for newcomers and answering questions about mailing kits, etc. I'm looking for a forum that really discusses autosomal DNA results. A place where questions are answered.

I tried signing up for the Rootsweb DNA list a couple of months ago, but never heard a word. I belong to lots of genealogy rootsweb lists, but I didn't think there was any limit on the number you can join. At present, Rootsweb is down.
Old 20th January 2018, 03:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

How about https://anthrogenica.com/forumdispla...tosomal-(auDNA)
Old 20th January 2018, 06:35 PM

Thanks! But it appears that that forum is about the ethnicity part of DNA testing. I'm not interested in that.

It's using matches to try to discover who your ancestors were when you can't find documents that interests me. Segment matching, triangulation and shared match problems. Right now I have two different families matching on the same segment. The explanation for that is usually quite simple. One is on the mother's side and the other is on the father's. In this case chances are slim to none that these people are in any way related on the mother's side. It appears to me that there is an error in the established genealogies. The problem is proving it and locating the error.
Old 21st January 2018, 10:39 AM
FTDNA Customer

I would think every genealogist encounters situations such as the one you describe. I learned long ago that my local genealogy society provides good moral support to keep my research going, and, sometimes, really helpful background information and actual clues. I couldn't begin to list the number of times I came away from a society meeting with a tip that opened up a whole new line of research. The collective experience of a room full of genealogists is a resource not to be missed. And, these days, most genealogists are working with genetic evidence themselves, and have probably arranged lectures or seminars on exactly these topics.
Old 21st January 2018, 12:17 PM

I belong to my local genealogical society and they have monthly DNA workshops. But I can't drive and I have no way to get to either meetings or workshops.
Old 21st January 2018, 02:07 PM
FTDNA Customer

MoberlyDrake

Do you live in an area where you can get a cab to just one meeting/workshop?

At the meeting, perhaps you could do some networking and let at least one person know you are a member but getting there is a great hardship. Perhaps that one person would pick up on your need and find someone who could take you to the meetings. Reach out....There is more than one way to get from here to there.

And, some good and caring people are out there.

Good luck.

Last edited by Biblioteque; 21st January 2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 21st January 2018, 05:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

There are many Facebook groups dealing with DNA Genealogy

See Facebook section in following link
https://isogg.org/wiki/Genetic_genealogy_mailing_lists
Old 21st January 2018, 05:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
My questions are never answered here. This forum has become a place basically for newcomers and answering questions about mailing kits, etc. I'm looking for a forum that really discusses autosomal DNA results. A place where questions are answered.

I tried signing up for the Rootsweb DNA list a couple of months ago, but never heard a word. I belong to lots of genealogy rootsweb lists, but I didn't think there was any limit on the number you can join. At present, Rootsweb is down.
Rootsweb is considered passe. Are you on all the big three sites, of which FTDNA is one? I am. I've been banned from 23andme because my opinions were not welcome there as they weren't in line with the mindset of their forum that is mostly of a younger crowd. It is their playground, and they can keep it and rule it, as they wish.

Unless you want to join Facebook there are no other options. I refuse to join Facebook, for several reasons. If you want to be on Facebook, that is your decision.

Roberta Estes has a blog that is interesting and you can post to it. But IMO, since Facebook has become dominant in this marketplace and YahooGroups is essentially defunct there are no other options currently available.
Old 24th January 2018, 08:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
There are many Facebook groups dealing with DNA Genealogy

See Facebook section in following link
https://isogg.org/wiki/Genetic_genealogy_mailing_lists
Sooo many - see: https://socialmediagenealogy.com/gen...facebook-list/ (it includes DNA groups)
Old 8th February 2018, 01:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

MoberlyDrake - did you find what you were looking for?