Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 31st December 2017, 09:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Ethnic origins results: why would Scandinavian drop out?

I took the Family Finder Test a few months ago, and my ethnic origins results showed zero percent Scandinavian, whereas my mother's results (which came back about a month earlier due to having been applied for earlier) showed 25 percent Scandinavian. On the other hand, her 12 percent Eastern European dropped back to about 6 percent in me. I'm happy with my results, but curious; does this happen often in the realm of ethnicity testing?
Old 31st December 2017, 10:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

The ethnic origins results of the DNA testing companies are highly questionable.

By our four grandparents my brother and I are 25% Danish, 25% Irish and 50% Polish.

Our ethnic origins breakdown is:

Me Brother

Europe East 63% 81%

British Isles 9 12

Scandinavia 0 7

West Central 28 0

Where did my Scandinavian go?

Where is all that extra Europe East from?

I can only guess that that Poland had a secret invasion of Denmark and Ireland that is lost to history.
Old 31st December 2017, 10:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbirk View Post
Where is all that extra Europe East from? I can only guess that that Poland had a secret invasion of Denmark
It's no joke. Multiple West Slavic peoples had interactions with the Danish people since a long time ago. And they left autosomal traces among modern Danes.

The 2016 presentation "Nationwide Genomic Study in Denmark Reveals Remarkable Population Homogeneity" by Athanasiadis, Cheng, et al. "observed a clear signal of Polish admixture in the East of the country, coinciding with historical Polish settlements in the region before the Middle Ages."

http://polishgenes.blogspot.com/2016...n-denmark.html
http://www.khazaria.com/genetics/danes.html
Old 1st January 2018, 12:13 AM
FTDNA Customer

That would include the time of King Harald "Bluetooth".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_Bluetooth

Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 1st January 2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 1st January 2018, 01:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

About jimbirk's Eastern European...

I hear Eastern European is a pretty strong bloodline, and apparently Scandinavian isn't quite as much: but yes, I believe Eastern Europe did have genetic impact on the Scandinavian regions. The Gundestrup Cauldron was Thracian craftsmanship, yet it was found in Denmark. Some people (myself being one of them),believe the Getae fathered the Goths, and a French chronicler from Normandy by the name of Dudo said that the Vikings who had settled in Bayeux spoke Dacian, (though everyone claims he meant Danish, but that's probably what ancient Danish derived from).