Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics

Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics This forum is for those new to personal ancestry testing on the direct paternal line with Y-DNA SNP tests. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 28th November 2017, 08:03 AM
FTDNA Customer

Question Totally confused by Y-DNA test results

Had the Y-67 test done. There's one "match" with different surname. TIP report says 90% probability of common ancestor 7 generations ago.

When I generate the "Advanced" Y-test report using all Y tests, there's more results and a chart indicating matches at the various Y-12, Y-25... testing levels. One is zero deviations through 37. The single "Match" in the non-advanced report has 1 deviation at Y-37 and 2 at Y-67.

Then, when I look at STR origins, the ONLY match that shows up is marked as an EXACT match but in the ADVANCED test is a Y-12 with zero deviations.

How sizer deviations at Y-12 an EXACT match but someone else with zero deviations through Y-37 not an EXACT match?

And how is it that the only person shown as a Y-67 match in the normal report not listed in the STR Map?

*Totally Confused*
Old 29th November 2017, 07:35 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonLR View Post
How sizer deviations at Y-12 an EXACT match but someone else with zero deviations through Y-37 not an EXACT match?
If the person has elected to not see 12 or 25 marker matches you won't see them as a match at those levels.

Quote:
And how is it that the only person shown as a Y-67 match in the normal report not listed in the STR Map?

*Totally Confused*
If the match has not entered a location for the ancestor FTDNA can't show you a location.
Old 2nd December 2017, 04:37 AM
FTDNA Customer

I'm sorry about the typos in my post but I haven't earned EDIT privileges yet.

I understand what you're saying. Makes sense now. Thanks.
Old 2nd December 2017, 06:02 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
There's one "match" with different surname. TIP report says 90% probability of common ancestor 7 generations ago.
I believe those TIP estimates are for matches who share the same surname.
Old 2nd December 2017, 10:32 AM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Quote:
I'm sorry about the typos in my post but I haven't earned EDIT privileges yet.

I understand what you're saying. Makes sense now. Thanks.
Posts in the FTDNA forums can only be changed by the poster for a period of time directly after being submitted. There are no requirements for earned privileges. I think they increased the period of time within the last year, from a relatively short amount (perhaps 15 minutes) to a longer amount - now about 2 hours if I recall correctly.