Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > Scientific Papers

Scientific Papers For talk of scientific papers on population genetics, archaeology, and anthropology related to DNA and personal ancestry testing.

Old 12th July 2016, 02:15 AM
FTDNA Customer

We might learn DNA of Philistines

The press release announces many places one can read about it in many languages.

I am recommending one that was written by a member of the Leon Levy Expedition to Ashkelon
http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/d...d-at-ashkelon/
Bone samples of the cemetery’s population are undergoing DNA testing, radiocarbon dating and biological distance studies (the degree of genetic relatedness).
Mr W
Old 12th December 2017, 12:08 AM
FTDNA Customer

Any update on the DNA results yet?

Old 4th March 2018, 03:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPeer View Post
Somewhat surprisingly, essentially a total silence...

On 19 May 2017, it was reported in Science that
Researchers are trying to extract DNA from skeletons buried in the ancient Philistine cemetery of Ashkelon, in what is now Israel
But nothing beyond that.

Mr. W
Old 4th March 2018, 02:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you, Mr W !!

Your posts are always interesting I'm so pleased you're posting again.
Old 13th March 2018, 08:45 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post

Researchers are trying to extract DNA from skeletons buried in the ancient Philistine cemetery of Ashkelon, in what is now Israel
But nothing beyond that.

Mr. W
Old 13th March 2018, 08:51 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post

But nothing beyond that.

Mr. W
There has been a study of Lebanese Canaanites. They had a fair amount of Natufian lines. Philistines should have less Natufian. (I visited a Canaanite site in Ashkelon)
Old 13th March 2018, 01:04 PM
FTDNA Customer

How will we know a dead Philistine when we find one?
Old 13th March 2018, 03:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCoy View Post
How will we know a dead Philistine when we find one?
Archeology

Last edited by dna; 13th March 2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 13th March 2018, 05:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

OK, so how does an archaeologist know a dead Philistine when he or she sees one?

In other words, is a Philistine just any skeleton of a particular age that if found in a particular location, or are there specific cultural or other markers that distinguish dead Philistines from other people who happened to die in the same area about the same time?

Last edited by John McCoy; 13th March 2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: !
Old 13th March 2018, 10:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCoy View Post
OK, so how does an archaeologist know a dead Philistine when he or she sees one?

In other words, is a Philistine just any skeleton of a particular age that if found in a particular location, or are there specific cultural or other markers that distinguish dead Philistines from other people who happened to die in the same area about the same time?
Yes, there must be many factors to connect some skeleton to a specific culture. That can be seen easily seen when comparing burials of Ancient Egypt with say Egtved Girl or Ítzi that are roughly the same age. The Egyptian mummies, thanks to many markers, are often not only precisely dated, but also associated to a specific social class, etc. Egtved Girl and Ítzi were found in a total cultural vacuum, and thus were just assigned to a time period.

I have to admit that archeology used to be a little bit unscientific by modern standards. Some archeological museums were clearly started by artifacts ripped out from their environment by what Hollywood glorifies today as treasure hunters.

Modern archeology would not only use radiocarbon dating for human remains, but would also try to assign each layer above and below to a date or a material culture or some culture. The best would be to have both date and the culture for each layer. And that is why there are specializations like Archeology of Someplace.

I have no idea what is/was specifically being used to qualify a skeleton, as a Philistine skeleton. Surely time and place are good starting points, but usually I read that a type of burial or artifacts found with a skeleton matched some culture, so the remains were assigned to it.

Mr. W.