Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 19th December 2015, 03:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Lightbulb Confirming my heritage through DNA.

So a little about what I know of my family:

My dad's side of the family, very strong African heritage in Georgia, no (known) admixture.

My mother's side of the family is a little more complex:
An interesting tri-racial mix.
My grandmother's mother , Chief Leach, was of Native/Black descent. She resided in Harnett County, by the Black River, a known Indian settlement.
My grandmother's father was of French/Black descent.

Here is a picture of my grandmother.
http://i63.tinypic.com/2mw6q8k.jpg

A picture of my great grandmother (her mother), Chief.
http://i63.tinypic.com/2wc2o93.jpg

And going further back on my grandmother's father's side...a picture of my grandmother's paternal great grandmother.
She appeared to be a free person of color.
http://i64.tinypic.com/2cmpti.jpg

My family has a pretty good idea of where we come from, but I still wanted to take the DNA test. LOL
I was happy that it confirmed what i know to be true. Of course my amounts of Native, etc. are more diluted than my grandmother's, especially since Chief's line is the only line I know of in my family with verifiable Native origins (because we all know EVERY line has a story about Native heritage LOL) ...And also due to the fact that Lumbee Indians are very heavily admixed with African and European blood. (She was of Lumbee/Coharie descent). But very proud to have a little piece of Grandma Chief inside of me. LOL.

I am also well aware of the fact that these results should not be taken as the be all and say all.
But without any further adieu...lol
Here are my results.

http://i67.tinypic.com/dxfz80.jpg

What perplexed me a bit were the Central Asian results, but I later found that Native heritage also shows as Asian sometimes. It also could be associated with the Scandinavian heritage, since Central Asians did travel up north to Scandinavia.

But it's weird because I have no known Scandinavian relatives, but its apparently such a big part of my ancestry. It also came up as a #1 European result on Ancestry, which made me dismiss the possibility of accidental "clumping" and error through testing. What do you guys think?
Old 19th December 2015, 04:35 PM
FTDNA Customer

One of your 8 great-grandparents was a European. Or two of them had significant European admixtures. These are two most likely scenarios.

Now back at myOrigins, the cluster named Finland and Northern Siberia is the one that has an obvious Asian connection. The cluster named Scandinavia is really only about (Southern) Sweden and Norway.

There could be a confusion as terms Nordic countries and Scandinavian countries are sometimes used in media without noticing that Finland is a Nordic country, but not a Scandinavian country.

Mr W

P.S.
Northern Siberia is quite far to the East from the area shaded as Finland and Northern Siberia cluster.
Old 19th December 2015, 05:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
One of your 8 great-grandparents was a European. Or two of them had significant European admixtures. These are two most likely scenarios.

Now back at myOrigins, the cluster named Finland and Northern Siberia is the one that has an obvious Asian connection. The cluster named Scandinavia is really only about (Southern) Sweden and Norway.

There could be a confusion as terms Nordic countries and Scandinavian countries are sometimes used in media without noticing that Finland is a Nordic country, but not a Scandinavian country.

Mr W

P.S.
Northern Siberia is quite far to the East from the area shaded as Finland and Northern Siberia cluster.
Thanks for your reply!

I think it would make more sense that the Central Asian is hitting more toward being a part of my Native heritage. I know they did travel from Asia across the Bering Strait.

Not a for-sure answer obviously, unless I traveled back in time to see LOL. And I don't take the results as a be all and say all anyway. Just see them as confirming the contributions to my DNA from the different ethnic groups. Doesn't necessarily mean I'm exactly "9% Scandinavian", etc.
Old 20th December 2015, 12:20 AM
FTDNA Customer

May be you are not around 9% Scandinavian (with no relationship to Central/South Asian in those around 9%), but surely you are around 15% European (with no relationship to Central/South Asian in those around 15%).

From experience presented here in the forum, 15% is not a noise.

3% Central/South Asian might be a noise.

Mr W
Old 20th December 2015, 02:02 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb. View Post
What perplexed me a bit were the Central Asian results, but I later found that Native heritage also shows as Asian sometimes.
It does not replace one over the other. This is more evident with those with a significant amount.

With MyOrigins nor Population Finder did I ever show tiny bits of NA but at 23andme and Ancestry I get tiny bits of NA, as high as 0.3%, which still is nothing.
Old 20th December 2015, 08:41 AM
FTDNA Customer

I took my raw DNA to GEDMatch and it also consistently put me in Northeast Europe/North Eurasia -- including Volga Ural, which from my knowledge is where Natives traveled from?

Eurogenes K36: North Caucasus (Russia) - 1.53%
Eurogene K12: Volga Ural - 2.29%
Dodecad K12b puts me in "North Europe" at 6.28%.
Dodecad World 9 has me in "Atlantic_Baltic" region at 11.49%
MDLP World 22 has me as "North-East-European" at 5.43%
MDLP K13 Ultimate puts me in its Ancient North Eurasian "ANE" at 6.40%

Looking at this map, Russia is not too far from Central Asia. (circled in red)
http://unusvita.com/Preparation/Russ...ssia%20Map.jpg

I think I can reasonably conclude that the Central Asian is not noise, given its close proximity to Russia and the percentage being above 2%. Looks like the test is just trying to pick up on my ancestry and is giving it to me in bits and pieces.

Another cool thing that happened is that my NA result never fell below 1% in any test taken.

Last edited by Herb.; 20th December 2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 20th December 2015, 09:09 AM
FTDNA Customer

Just a little clarification on the results in parentheses.

Eurogenes K36: North Caucasus (Russia) - 1.53%
Eurogene K12: Volga Ural (Russia) - 2.29%
MDLP K13 Ancient North Eurasian "ANE" (Russia) - 6.40%
Dodecad K12b puts me in "North Europe" at 6.28%.
Dodecad World 9 has me in "Atlantic_Baltic" region at 11.49%
MDLP World 22 has me as "North-East-European" at 5.43%