Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 12th November 2013, 07:12 PM

Japanese Representation in Family Finder

I have been searching high and low for information about the numbers of Japanese people that have tested with FamilyTreeDNA and more specifically in family finder.

Does anyone know if there are a significant number of Japanese in the Database? I know there are a lot of samples taken from Europeans and Americans but to what extent are testers from Japan or Asia?

My father is half-japanese, his biological mother was Japanese, and was adopted in Japan during the 50's. He was what they called an "Occupation Baby." I convinced him to test his mtDNA, (mtDNAplus), just for "kicks" to help track some of his Japanese Ancestry. (I myself, tested yDNA37, and if I knew what I knew now, I should have just used his sample to test for Paternal and Maternal but whatever).

I ask because if there aren't many Japanese submissions, I don't want to spend the money on FF if I know there is an extremely small number of samples to compare.

ANYBODY?
Old 12th November 2013, 08:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

In case it helps any in deciding, here is a Japan DNA project. It is not an extremely large amount of people compared to projects I am in that deal with Ireland or the British Isles. Now, the people who join projects are only a subset of people here with a certain background, but it may help in making a decision: http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...ction=yresults

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...ction=yresults
Old 12th November 2013, 11:20 PM

Unhappy

I can see not many Japanese have submitted samples here. I think I'll wait for my father's mtDNA results to get back just to see what turns up. Bath 541, due 1/1/14/, I'm sure it will come back much sooner than that if it was a good sample.

Thank you for the link to the project but the only issue is that its for Y-DNA. A Japanese project for mtDNA doesn't exists here, yet.

Any ideas on a Japanese DNA bank that I can transfer the data too? I have googled the hell out of it but can't seem to find any. The Japanese are pretty touchy about the subject, especially when it comes to Orphans.
Old 13th November 2013, 11:04 AM
Webinar Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaynes15 View Post
Thank you for the link to the project but the only issue is that its for Y-DNA. A Japanese project for mtDNA doesn't exists here, yet.
The Japan project covers both Y-DNA and mtDNA. See the mtDNA Results menu button at the top of the website.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/japan/

Elise
Old 13th November 2013, 11:47 AM
FTDNA Customer

One never knows where one would find matches. Even though FTDNA has a smaller base of autosomal, I have matched on lines here that I haven't at either 23andMe or Ancestry. The only one I would not suggest for someone with fairly recent overseas (from the USA) ancestry is Ancestry, since they are only sending kits to the US now.
Old 14th November 2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgen View Post
The Japan project covers both Y-DNA and mtDNA. See the mtDNA Results menu button at the top of the website.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/japan/

Elise

Thank you very much! I don't know how I didn't see this. I think when I clicked on one of the projects based on geographic location, I only found one for Japan in the YDNA section.

Thanks!

Do you have any idea how much of the DNA samples in Fam. tree. DNA comes from Japan?
Old 14th November 2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
One never knows where one would find matches. Even though FTDNA has a smaller base of autosomal, I have matched on lines here that I haven't at either 23andMe or Ancestry. The only one I would not suggest for someone with fairly recent overseas (from the USA) ancestry is Ancestry, since they are only sending kits to the US now.
Do you think that the Japanese are well represented in FTDNA's database? As in, at least 1% of the Autosomal DNA comes from Japan? I've read that there is over 20,000 samples of Autosomal DNA at FTDNA, so at least 200 came from japan or is that wishful thinking?

I wish FTDNA would release the demographics and percentages of their Family Finder database.
Old 24th November 2013, 08:38 AM
FTDNA Customer

mhaynes15 - I am sorry I don't have an answer besides "I don't know." I hope whatever you decide to do, you find a ton of matches and answers to questions you have.

Sorry for late reply. Should have followed the thread...
Old 21st November 2015, 09:38 PM
FTDNA Customer

My Japanese daughter in law matched 126 cousins on 23andme.
Closest match is about 3rd cousin, but anonymous and never replied.
She uploaded the results to GEDmatch and kind of shows about the same. They do things a little different there.

She has connected with maybe a 5th and 4th cousin in the US and two about 3rd cousins in Japan.

Not sure if this helps, just some info from helping my daughter in law.
Old 28th November 2015, 05:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaynes15 View Post
I have been searching high and low for information about the numbers of Japanese people that have tested with FamilyTreeDNA and more specifically in family finder.

Does anyone know if there are a significant number of Japanese in the Database? I know there are a lot of samples taken from Europeans and Americans but to what extent are testers from Japan or Asia?

My father is half-japanese, his biological mother was Japanese, and was adopted in Japan during the 50's. He was what they called an "Occupation Baby." I convinced him to test his mtDNA, (mtDNAplus), just for "kicks" to help track some of his Japanese Ancestry. (I myself, tested yDNA37, and if I knew what I knew now, I should have just used his sample to test for Paternal and Maternal but whatever).

I ask because if there aren't many Japanese submissions, I don't want to spend the money on FF if I know there is an extremely small number of samples to compare.

ANYBODY?
I'm somewhat confused. Are you asking if there was enough Japanese people who got DNA tested at FTDNA? Or if they used a certain amount of samples in order to produce the results from "myOrigins?" Those are two different things.

I transferred my cousin's results over to FTDNA from Ancestry and I think I saw she had about 3 - 4 Japanese matches. My cousin is HALF Japanese.