Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 18th September 2006, 05:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

Full mtDNA sequence

Has anyone here had their mtDNA fully sequenced? Did you learn anything from it? Did you match anyone who also had their's fully sequenced?
Old 18th September 2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2-D2
Has anyone here had their mtDNA fully sequenced? Did you learn anything from it? Did you match anyone who also had their's fully sequenced?
Yes. It confirmed that I am in subclade K1c2 and that I have no medically-significant coding-region mutations. There are not many full-sequence tests published anywhere and most do not have any identifying information. Most people even hide their results from their project administrators. That's the default on your personal page. The only other known K1c2 with published results is identified only as "Moroccan Jew." Since K1c2 is not normally Moroccan nor Jewish, my theory is that some woman from the British Isles ended up in Portugal, where there are K1c's now. She was Jewish or became Jewish, then she or a maternal descendant was expelled around 1492 and went across to Morocco.

Bill Hurst
Old 18th September 2006, 07:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2-D2
I have had my mtDNA fully sequenced. Mine is haplogroup mtJ2. Out of 54 matches, no one else on my personal page was tested for their full mtDNA. I would not recommend this test unless two people are interested in it at the same time. I hope there will be a 3rd HVR test in the future, maybe? I have submitted my results to FTDNA for future research on haplogroup mtJ2. I have a question. What website you research your full mtDNA results for medical reference?
Old 19th September 2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Rauch
I have had my mtDNA fully sequenced. Mine is haplogroup mtJ2. Out of 54 matches, no one else on my personal page was tested for their full mtDNA. I would not recommend this test unless two people are interested in it at the same time. I hope there will be a 3rd HVR test in the future, maybe? I have submitted my results to FTDNA for future research on haplogroup mtJ2. I have a question. What website you research your full mtDNA results for medical reference?
Richard, you not need a "3rd HVR test." If anybody has taken the FTDNA mtDNAPlus (HVR1+HVR2) or mtDNARefine tests, you have tested for the mutations in the "HVR3" tests offered by other companies.

To research your full-sequence results for medical implications is a very complicated process. I paid Ann Turner, the founder of the Genealogy-DNA mailing list, a small fee to analyze mine. Well worth it.

Bill Hurst
Old 19th September 2006, 10:53 AM
FTDNA Customer

I posted this in a similar thread a bit ago, http://www.jogg.info/12/Logan.pdf
Old 21st September 2006, 08:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hurst
Richard, you not need a "3rd HVR test." If anybody has taken the FTDNA mtDNAPlus (HVR1+HVR2) or mtDNARefine tests, you have tested for the mutations in the "HVR3" tests offered by other companies.

To research your full-sequence results for medical implications is a very complicated process. I paid Ann Turner, the founder of the Genealogy-DNA mailing list, a small fee to analyze mine. Well worth it.

Bill Hurst
Bill, what is Ann Turner's email address? -Richard
Old 22nd September 2006, 08:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

Temporary Price reduction

Hey! In celebration of the opening of a new lab they have reduced the price of the full mtDNA sequence test for the next 100 people. Actually 99 cause I just ordered it. It was like, less than half price! What timing!
Old 22nd September 2006, 08:37 PM

The way thing are going, it will probably only take about two years to get results....
Old 22nd September 2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvallen
The way thing are going, it will probably only take about two years to get results....

argusbio.com has started lab testing also.
time will tell
Old 22nd September 2006, 10:30 PM

You can also order SuperDNA* $739