Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics

Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics This forum is for those new to personal ancestry testing on the direct paternal line with Y-DNA SNP tests. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 19th November 2016, 10:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

R-Z319 now R-Z327?

I first started out at R-Z 319 now it has changed to R-Z 327 what real difference is this?????
Old 19th November 2016, 11:16 AM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JComer View Post
I first started out at R-Z 319 now it has changed to R-Z 327 what real difference is this?????
I assume that you're referring to the haplogroup assignment that FTDNA has given you, not a haplogroup assignment from the R1b-U106 Project. (Are you a member of the R1b-U106 Project?) FTDNA is behind in their haplogroup assignment, at least in relation to the trees maintained by the R1b-U106 Project and other projects. You can see the latest version of the R1b-U106 Project tree at https://app.box.com/s/afqsrrnvv2d51msqcz2o,

So, FTDNA is constantly playing catch-up. They have to consult with the haplogroup project administrators about their trees and also do internal research in the FTDNA database to arrive at the most accurate tree. Many people are seeing changes in their FTDNA haplogroup assignment because of this.

Looking at the FTDNA tree, they have Z327 as equivalent to Z331 and Z319 as 5 subclades downstream from Z331/Z327. The R1b-U106 Project tree has Z327 as equivalent to Z326, which is downstream from Z331 but upstream from Z319. So, there is an obvious conflict between the two trees. I would put more trust in the R1b-U106 Project tree, since our project has a comprehensive analysis spreadsheet for close to 800 Big Y results of project members. This allows us to create a more accurate and up to date tree than FTDNA has.

If you haven't yet joined the R1b-U106 Project, please do so. If you have Big Y results, make sure that they're included in our analysis spreadsheet.
Old 21st December 2017, 11:40 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaddi View Post
I assume that you're referring to the haplogroup assignment that FTDNA has given you, not a haplogroup assignment from the R1b-U106 Project. (Are you a member of the R1b-U106 Project?) FTDNA is behind in their haplogroup assignment, at least in relation to the trees maintained by the R1b-U106 Project and other projects. You can see the latest version of the R1b-U106 Project tree at https://app.box.com/s/afqsrrnvv2d51msqcz2o,

So, FTDNA is constantly playing catch-up. They have to consult with the haplogroup project administrators about their trees and also do internal research in the FTDNA database to arrive at the most accurate tree. Many people are seeing changes in their FTDNA haplogroup assignment because of this.

Looking at the FTDNA tree, they have Z327 as equivalent to Z331 and Z319 as 5 subclades downstream from Z331/Z327. The R1b-U106 Project tree has Z327 as equivalent to Z326, which is downstream from Z331 but upstream from Z319. So, there is an obvious conflict between the two trees. I would put more trust in the R1b-U106 Project tree, since our project has a comprehensive analysis spreadsheet for close to 800 Big Y results of project members. This allows us to create a more accurate and up to date tree than FTDNA has.

If you haven't yet joined the R1b-U106 Project, please do so. If you have Big Y results, make sure that they're included in our analysis spreadsheet.
I have joined R1b-106 project but have no ideal how to read the spreadsheet thanks