Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 4th October 2017, 07:31 AM
FTDNA Customer

Perhaps I am not following you either, but have you done a one-to-one at Gedmatch to determine that EACH of the people in the TG is related to each other person?
Old 4th October 2017, 10:11 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marietta View Post
Perhaps I am not following you either, but have you done a one-to-one at Gedmatch to determine that EACH of the people in the TG is related to each other person?
No, since they haven't uploaded it there, and I can't get hold of some of them. The original five I posted here all match each other when you use the "in common with" tool on FF. On paper trail these descendants of the same MRCA are 5th-6th cousins with each other, except for A and B who are closer.
Old 4th October 2017, 10:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfp43 View Post
It's possible. But again, those two men who have different Y-haplogroups cannot possibly be direct male-line descendants of the same male ancestor. Can't happen.
Thanks. Then if I am descended from D's grandparents, it must be through a daughter that had a son.
Old 4th October 2017, 10:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
I have been trying to find four unknown ggg-grandparents (parents of a married couple) with DNA for 7 years. Apparently it can't be done according to the responses I get on this forum (when I get any response at all!), contrary to FTDNA's claims when they first introduced Family Finder. And this is despite the fact that I'm looking for people of colonial American descent when 3 quarters of my tree is recent French and German immigrants and one eighth is New England and the eighth with the missing ggg-grandparents is almost certainly NC and VA.
I do wish it was easier. I have only been doing the research on this with DNA since 2015, on and off, learning as I go. I might just take a break and read more into DNA genealogy and then go back to it.

I managed to solve finding an adoptees parents (he was born in 1921) through very few paper clues, and the rest was DNA. He was lucky to have some 3rd cousins on gedmatch. Otherwise I would not have been able to find the parents.

When the missing parent is born at around 1800, finding "close" matches is hard. With people who were isolated and with close relation marriages, the estimated relationships get closer, which makes my case more difficult.
Old 10th October 2017, 12:11 AM
FTDNA Customer

ggg grandfather connection

Unfortunately only one small piece of DNA won't solve you problem. The truth is you will either have to pay someone to dig into the paper records or do it yourself. In some special cases where good genealogical paper trails are found the result can be quite pleasing. Then again most of these cases end in utter frustration and may never be solved.
Don't give up though...lay it aside and wait awhile. No telling who you will match tomorrow who will supply the missing information and all will clear up.
Old 10th October 2017, 01:47 AM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

I found missing fathers for two of my mother's matches recently, one at Ancestry and one at 23andMe. But that was only because they were very close matches. The one at Ancestry had 13 close matches in common with my mother, six of them descended from my mother's grandfather, five from her great-grandfather, and 2 with too little info for me to find out who their ancestors are (and they didn't answer messages, of course).

Shared lists at Ancestry seem to have more meaning. You can often spot common ancestors. Here I almost never see any ancestors that people are on the "In common" list have in common, beyond my known 2nd cousins once removed. Even one known 3rd cousin's in common list has mostly unknowns on it as he only matches 3 of my family members.