Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Grumbles & Gripes

Grumbles & Gripes This is a place for free and open grumbling, griping, and venting about anything and everything about DNA, companies, and genealogy that irks you. You may even come here to complain about the Forums and how they are run.

Old 12th July 2015, 09:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

New (Useless) Y Match Notice

I got up this morning and checked my emails. There was a notice of a new Y-67 match. Since I had never had one at 67 markers, I was eager to see who it was. Well, I checked and it is a match with a genetic distance of 7. It might was well be a match to Fred Flintstone, so why bother even matching?

Well, at least it looks like IT is trying to tweak the software.
Old 12th July 2015, 10:11 AM
FTDNA Customer

Why useless?

There was a case reported in the forum when son/father were found to have the distance of 2. Cousins can have GD of 3, etc...

He is still matching you with 60 markers and people can be happy finding anyone matching with 37 markers

W. (Mr.)
Old 12th July 2015, 01:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 381858 View Post
I got up this morning and checked my emails. There was a notice of a new Y-67 match. Since I had never had one at 67 markers, I was eager to see who it was. Well, I checked and it is a match with a genetic distance of 7. It might was well be a match to Fred Flintstone, so why bother even matching?

Well, at least it looks like IT is trying to tweak the software.
I don't know what is your problem. I will not call it useless. It's a clue. And why did you think it's the IT trying to tweak the software ? If you read the FTDNA learning center, then it clearly state that FTDNA will show Genetic Distance 0-7 in Y-67 matches. It's always like that.

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...-matches-page/

And no, It's far from might be a match to Fred Flinstone.
Old 12th July 2015, 02:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

Y-67

I appreciate the feedback.

Let me add this:

I have a zero distance match at 12 markers with my surname. While 0 at 12 might otherwise mean too much (although it is, as you put it, a clue), with me it does because he and I have a very unusual marker at one location (about 1-2% of my haplogroup). Yet, the most recent common ancestor is beyond 5 generations back. What this suggests to me is that my first 12 markers have not mutated for nearly 200 years. Therefore, someone who is a distance of 7 (admittedly at 67 markers) would seem to be pretty far back.

Thoughts?
Old 12th July 2015, 03:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Please open https://www.familytreedna.com/my/advanced-matches.aspx (that is myFTDNA -> Tools and Apps -> Advanced Matching) select only Y-DNA12, change Results Per Page to 500, then Run Report. Verify whether your Y-DNA67 match is on the list.

W. (Mr.)

P.S.
This is where SNP testing helps. Has your match done SNP testing?
Old 12th July 2015, 03:32 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
Please open https://www.familytreedna.com/my/advanced-matches.aspx (that is myFTDNA -> Tools and Apps -> Advanced Matching) select only Y-DNA12, change Results Per Page to 500, then Run Report. Verify whether your Y-DNA67 match is on the list.

W. (Mr.)

P.S.
This is where SNP testing helps. Has your match done SNP testing?
To add to dna's post, if this match has disabled 12 marker matching, he will be listed in your advanced matching list with only his last name shown (private).

To see private matches, sort the yDNA column to show arrow pointing down after report is run, this will place all of the private matches at the top of your list. Private matches are omitted from CVS/Excel download, so you manually have to view online in advanced matching

Last edited by prairielad; 12th July 2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 13th July 2015, 08:01 AM
FTDNA Customer

Further question on using advance search tool?

Thanks very much for posting how to use the advanced match tool to find ychrome matches who have turned off seeing matches at lower levels like 12 or 25. I see how these names are returned in a different format (just last name, no hyperlink etc), but I have a question about all the names that have "x" in the boxes next to their names. A number have numbers displayed indicating genetic distances, but alot of these just have "x" for the level of test taken that say "no match" when you hover over the "x". Why are these no match showing up ( particularly where all the boxes for level of test taken have an "x"? Are these somehow matches who don't meet the genetic distance criteria at each level but are included for some other reason? (The explanation for advanced match tool is very short and doesn't even indicate that it would show information on matches that have turned off lower level matches!)

Last edited by Smsitton; 13th July 2015 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 13th July 2015, 09:49 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smsitton View Post
Thanks very much for posting how to use the advanced match tool to find ychrome matches who have turned off seeing matches at lower levels like 12 or 25. I see how these names are returned in a different format (just last name, no hyperlink etc), but I have a question about all the names that have "x" in the boxes next to their names. A number have numbers displayed indicating genetic distances, but alot of these just have "x" for the level of test taken that say "no match" when you hover over the "x". Why are these no match showing up ( particularly where all the boxes for level of test taken have an "x"? Are these somehow matches who don't meet the genetic distance criteria at each level but are included for some other reason? (The explanation for advanced match tool is very short and doesn't even indicate that it would show information on matches that have turned off lower level matches!)
A dash (-) means they have not tested to that level (see level of testing by non privatized names)

An x means they have tested to that level but do not match.

Although I am not sure on private matches, in regards to yDNA, if they will show the Genetic Distance or by default show an X.
Old 13th July 2015, 10:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
A dash (-) means they have not tested to that level (see level of testing by non privatized names)

An x means they have tested to that level but do not match.

Although I am not sure on private matches, in regards to yDNA, if they will show the Genetic Distance or by default show an X.
A dash can also mean that an individual did not have that type of the test.

Please see my next post for an explanation of x in the context of Y-DNA Advanced Matching.

W. (Mr.)
Old 13th July 2015, 10:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smsitton View Post
I sighed deeply, counted to 100...

Thank you Smsitton, these are good questions. The problem is that FTDNA should not be giving a message Not A Match, but a message like This person has matching turned off at this level. “Not A Match” is misleading, as obviously he is a match! With “x” you just do not know how close the match is.

At 12 markers, “x” means that he is at GD=0, but possibly GD=1, if he is in the same project as you.

At any other level, “x” means that he is a match, but as he decided to not participate in matching at that level, FTDNA would not tell you his Genetic Distance (GD) to you. You only know that:
  • for 25 markers, your GD to him could be from 0 to 2,
  • for 37 markers, your GD to him could be from 0 to 4,
  • for 67 markers, your GD to him could be from 0 to 7,
  • for 111 markers, your GD to him could be from 0 to 10.

W. (Mr.)