Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Old 29th November 2013, 07:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

ysearch is broken and useless

I have spent half an hour just trying to create an account with ysearch. I get the 500 internal error like many others over the years.

It seems awfully pathetic. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because it is Thanksgiving.
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:43 AM
FTDNA Customer

Today it is working and I was able to upload my YDNA results and create a user id. Thank you.
Old 4th December 2013, 01:31 AM
FTDNA Customer

it is very simple to create an account if you have tested with FTDNA. The values are populated automatically. It is very convenient especially after an upgrade - just press the button from the Y-DNA matches page - it will take you to y search log in and the values of the upgrade will be populated.

So it is better to use the Y-DNA matches page as a starting point.
Old 5th December 2013, 08:14 AM
FTDNA Customer

Many of the ysearch uploads were tested at FTDNA. The nice thing is being able to see which markers you mismatch on. I never understood why we can't do this here at FTDNA. They say it's a privacy issue but then they encourage projects that show the markers.
Old 5th December 2013, 09:19 AM
FTDNA Customer

Balancing act between sharing results & individual privacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattn View Post
Many of the ysearch uploads were tested at FTDNA. The nice thing is being able to see which markers you mismatch on. I never understood why we can't do this here at FTDNA. They say it's a privacy issue but then they encourage projects that show the markers.
FTDNA recognizes the strength of comparing STR markers, but also recognizes every customer's inherent right to privacy. I believe they do include a statement to the effect that joining a project (or submitting their results to ySearch/mitoSearch) does publicly reveal your testing results, and as such, joining is completely voluntary and is initiated by the customer (rather than FTDNA).

As a haplogroup project administrator, I have had folks talk about wanting their DNA information kept private. I have had to tell them they needed to make a choice of either keeping their information private, or enhance their ability to find potential matches. Either choice has a drawback (either information released to the public or inability to find potential matches). They get to choose, but they also have to live with the choice they make.
Old 7th December 2013, 04:45 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archdale View Post
Today it is working and I was able to upload my YDNA results and create a user id. Thank you.
I would suggest that you check the markers you downloaded to ysearch against your FTDNA markers. When I downloaded mine to ysearch they showed a value for DYS19b that was Null at FTDNA. This happened again when I did an upgrade YDNA-37 marker and downloaded those from FTDNA to ysearch too. It wasn't a widespread problem but I did read of similar situations with other members.
Hoppy