Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics This is an area for those who are new to DNA testing for genealogy can ask about Y-DNA STR based tests and their test results. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 24th July 2017, 08:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Good answer, thank you

Thank you for the further information. I will take the steps you outlined, this is very helpful. --Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaddi View Post
I'm taking you to mean that you have 8 matches at the 37 marker level who have no differences with you on any marker. In other words, 8 exact matches. If I'm misunderstanding what you wrote, please correct me.

Matches at 12 and 25 markers for men who are R-M269 (most common haplogroup among men with European ancestry) are notoriously unreliable. They may represent a common ancestor as many as 4,000 or more years ago.

When you get matches at 37 or more markers, they are the ones to look at. That's especially the case when you have 8 exact matches, all with the same surname. This does call into question whether the true surname associated with your paternal line is Stroud. There may have been an adoption or something of that sort.

If any of the 8 matches have tested 67 or 111 markers, it would be worthwhile for you to upgrade to those levels. (You'll see the number of markers they've tested next to their names in your match list.) Then you could compare at the higher levels and get a better estimate of how long ago a common ancestor may have lived, which will only be an estimate based on average mutation rates and probability.

You should also reach out to these matches to see if any of their recent paternal line ancestors (their father or grandfather, for instance) lived in the same town where your father was born. A DNA test can tell you that something is amiss, but only paper trail research will find out what happened.