Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 8th September 2017, 07:38 PM
FTDNA Customer

weirdest results- sephardi jew

Hello people and world.
English is not my first language so I'm sorry in advance for any mistake.
I am a sephardi jewish from Israel and i have got today the weirdest FTDNA results.
All of my grandparents came from morocco to Israel but I know I have deeper roots in sephardic communities in Greece (Thessaloniki), Netherlands and maybe even in Turkey and Italy.
I know that I'm full sephardi- my great grandparents spoke Ladino (Haketia- judeo spanish) and all of my known surnames shows that my family have been expelled from Spain and Portugal in the late 15th century. also I'm a descended of Rabbi shlomo alkabetz, one of the most important sephardic rabbis(borned in salonika, Greece and his parents were expelled from Spain).

my Ftdna results arrived today:
35% south east europe
23% asia minor
21% north african
12% sephardi jew
6% west middle east
2% ashkenazi
1% Iberia

how am I only 14% Jewish diaspora? I am full sephardic to my knowledge.
how am I 23% asia minor?- thats way too hight to be true.

I guess the north african and the Levantine parts makes sense..

but I thought I'd be way more sephardi diaspora.........

and what about the 35% south east europe? I mean my family is white (white skined , light eyed and me maternal side is light haired) but I never thought I'm going to have 35% Italy&Balkans. where is it coming from?

Do you think these results are accurate ?
Should i upload my raw dna data to gedmatch and DNA.LAND?
if I should, what Gedmatch tests are good for sephardi jewish ancestry?

By the way most of my matches are sephardi surnames from north africa, some are hispanics from south america and some are ashkenazi jews.
my second cousins score about 50% jewish diaspora and I'm only 14% and that is so weird.

thanks and have a nice day
Old 9th September 2017, 03:13 AM
FTDNA Customer

You should definitely upload to GEDmatch, My Heritage and DNAland... it always helps to get more information.
Old 9th September 2017, 04:17 AM
FTDNA Customer

DR2001,
Moroccan Jews are not identical to Sephardic Jews from the southeastern Balkans. This is part of the reason why your Sephardic score isn't higher -- because Family Tree DNA's Sephardi reference population is built from Jews from Greece and Turkey. For example, you have much more North African DNA than any Balkan Sephardi or Ashkenazi can score even in deep-ancestry calculators like Eurogenes K36. Yours is 21% but they get usually 2%-6%.

The ancient Israelites did mix with northern Middle Eastern peoples, explaining your Asia Minor score. If there was no separate Ashkenazi reference population in MyOrigins, all Ashkenazim would score substantially in the Asia Minor category as well as in the Southeast Europe category which comes from ancient Italian converts to Judaism who form part of the ancestry of both Sephardim and Ashkenazim. It is also known from history that there were occasionally Spaniards who converted to Judaism or otherwise had relations with Jews. So I see nothing wrong in your results.

LivingDNA doesn't have any separate Jewish reference population. Ashkenazim testing with LivingDNA get assigned to categories like North Turkey, Iran, Levant, South Italy, North Italy, Tuscany, France, and Iberian Peninsula. These have analogues to Family Tree DNA's categories that you and other Sephardim get assigned.
Old 9th September 2017, 07:32 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazaria View Post
DR2001,
Moroccan Jews are not identical to Sephardic Jews from the southeastern Balkans. This is part of the reason why your Sephardic score isn't higher -- because Family Tree DNA's Sephardi reference population is built from Jews from Greece and Turkey. For example, you have much more North African DNA than any Balkan Sephardi or Ashkenazi can score even in deep-ancestry calculators like Eurogenes K36. Yours is 21% but they get usually 2%-6%.

The ancient Israelites did mix with northern Middle Eastern peoples, explaining your Asia Minor score. If there was no separate Ashkenazi reference population in MyOrigins, all Ashkenazim would score substantially in the Asia Minor category as well as in the Southeast Europe category which comes from ancient Italian converts to Judaism who form part of the ancestry of both Sephardim and Ashkenazim. It is also known from history that there were occasionally Spaniards who converted to Judaism or otherwise had relations with Jews. So I see nothing wrong in your results.

LivingDNA doesn't have any separate Jewish reference population. Ashkenazim testing with LivingDNA get assigned to categories like North Turkey, Iran, Levant, South Italy, North Italy, Tuscany, France, and Iberian Peninsula. These have analogues to Family Tree DNA's categories that you and other Sephardim get assigned.
Thank you very much. I'll to do Myheritage DNA because they have north african sephardim category.
At this moment my heritage does not let me to upload my raw data because it's not available in my country.
I will try with VPN or something like that.
Old 9th September 2017, 01:03 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2001 View Post
Thank you very much. I'll to do Myheritage DNA because they have north african sephardim category.
At this moment my heritage does not let me to upload my raw data because it's not available in my country.
I will try with VPN or something like that.
Try the various Gedmatch programs--- distant dna history may not match recent family history. I am over 90% Ashkenazi but only 20% of my ancient dna is from Israel (Natufian at Gedmatch Near East Neolithic)
Old 9th September 2017, 10:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

DR2001,

You are invited to join the Jewish and Italian myOrigins Project. Your results would be very important to us, and we might be able to provide more information for you based on any shared matches you may have with Italians.

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...-origins/about
Old 10th September 2017, 10:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
Try the various Gedmatch programs--- distant dna history may not match recent family history. I am over 90% Ashkenazi but only 20% of my ancient dna is from Israel (Natufian at Gedmatch Near East Neolithic)
According to Gedmatch (Gedrosia) Near East Neolithic, Moroccan Jews have 23% Natufian (Ancient Israel) and 20% Anatolia.
Old 12th September 2017, 07:37 AM
FTDNA Customer

MyHeritage has different categories of Jewish DNA:
- Ashkenazi Jewish
- Ethiopian Jewish
- Mizrahi Jewish - Iranian/Iraq
- Sephardic Jewish - North African
- Yemenite Jewish

MyHeritage blocks uploads from Israel, I hope you can find a way to work around this. Perhaps ask a friend or relative abroad to create a new account (with an email address they temporarily have access to, so they can activate the account) and upload the raw data for you. This should be someone you trust with your DNA data.

Good luck
Old 13th September 2017, 04:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro71 View Post
MyHeritage has different categories of Jewish DNA:
- Ashkenazi Jewish
- Ethiopian Jewish
- Mizrahi Jewish - Iranian/Iraq
- Sephardic Jewish - North African
- Yemenite Jewish

MyHeritage blocks uploads from Israel, I hope you can find a way to work around this. Perhaps ask a friend or relative abroad to create a new account (with an email address they temporarily have access to, so they can activate the account) and upload the raw data for you. This should be someone you trust with your DNA data.

Good luck
I have uploaded my raw data to several Gedmatch tets, Dna.land, and Myheritage.
the final conclusion was that I'm about 60% Southern European(about 32% Sicilian, 10% Northern Italian, 18% Greek/Balkan, 5% Iberian and some Sardinian), about 15-20% North African Berber and about 20% Middle Eastern (10% Levant and 10-15% Turkish)

Last edited by DR2001; 13th September 2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 16th September 2017, 02:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

Or, possibly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazaria View Post
DR2001,

There could be considerable technical issues with Origins 2

My Origins 2 results
European 78%
Jewish Diaspora 11%
(Sephardic 11%)
Middle Eastern 6%

My father

Middle Eastern 64%
European 30%
Central/South Asian 5%

My Mother

European 96%
Middle Eastern 2%

My sephardic results should be included in my Asia Minor results (as was the case with Origins 1, and consistent with my father's results)

My Eurogenes EUtest V2 K15 results (Kit F204221 Gedmatch)

1 East_Med 21.16
2 West_Asian 16.02
3 Atlantic 15.93
4 West_Med 13.65
5 North_Sea 9.68
6 Baltic 9.47
7 Eastern_Euro 8.34
8 Red_Sea 3.4
9 South_Asian 0.89
10 Northeast_African 0.54
11 Southeast_Asian 0.29
12 Oceanian 0.23
13 Amerindian 0.21
14 Siberian 0.2

Last edited by JamesBianco; 16th September 2017 at 03:14 PM.