Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 25th June 2017, 01:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

Im Bangladeshi

FTdna Ancient European Origins:

Metal Age Invader 55%

Farmer 10%

Non European 35%

Ftdna My Origins:

Central/South Asian 85%
-South Central Asia 55%
-Central Asia 30%

East Asian 13%
-Southeast Asia 9%
-Northeast Asia 4%

Other 2%
Old 17th October 2017, 07:31 PM
FTDNA Customer

I have a question concerning the AO map. Do the circles with the garden trowels represent known ancient remains that match your specific DNA? 3 of the circles for me are in Germany, 1 in Northern Italy near the Swiss border, 1 in Luxembourg, 1 in the Basque region of Spain, 1 in Sweden, 1 in Russia and 2 in Hungary.
Old 26th November 2017, 04:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

Ashkenazi Jewish

99% Ashkenazi Jewish (despite everyone in my known family being Jewish, I was pretty shocked by how homogeneous this was!)
1% trace regions (East Central Africa, South Central Asia, and West Middle East)

My Ancient Origins

23% Metal Age Invader
60% Farmer
15% Hunter-Gatherer
2% Non-European
Old 26th November 2017, 04:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave21286 View Post
I have a question concerning the AO map. Do the circles with the garden trowels represent known ancient remains that match your specific DNA? 3 of the circles for me are in Germany, 1 in Northern Italy near the Swiss border, 1 in Luxembourg, 1 in the Basque region of Spain, 1 in Sweden, 1 in Russia and 2 in Hungary.

I'm not sure what the circles mean, but mine are in the exact same location.
Old 27th November 2017, 12:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Ashkenazi Jewish

99% Ashkenazi Jewish (despite everyone in my known family being Jewish, I was pretty shocked by how homogeneous this was!)
1% trace regions (East Central Africa, South Central Asia, and West Middle East)

My Ancient Origins

23% Metal Age Invader
60% Farmer
15% Hunter-Gatherer
2% Non-European

The result is fairly common given your background. Note that this does not imply that your lines are mainly from the Levant
Old 27th November 2017, 01:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
The result is fairly common given your background. Note that this does not imply that your lines are mainly from the Levant
The ancient Origins pattern is common for Ashkenazim. 'Farmer' points to Neolithic migration to Europe, mainly from Asia Minor. "Metal' could reflect the Caucasus, but more likely reflects Metal migration to Eastern Europe were it is quite common, e.g. Russia and Lithuania.
Old 27th November 2017, 02:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
My Ancient Origins

23% Metal Age Invader
60% Farmer
15% Hunter-Gatherer
2% Non-European
My Ancient Origins are identical to yours except my Metal Age Invader is 22% not 23%. The other three percentages are the same.

All 16 of my great-great-grandparents were Ashkenazim, but going back further generations there are genetic indications I have admixture from small proportions of Sephardi Jews, Mizrahi Jews, and Poles. I do not rely on the calculators; I also study the ethnic backgrounds of my matches.
Old 27th November 2017, 05:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave21286 View Post
It's the locations of ancient remains that have been DNA tested.
Old 27th November 2017, 08:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
It's the locations of ancient remains that have been DNA tested.
This poses a problem for Jews. There is no Levantine sample in Ancient Origins, although the research on which it is based did have such a sample. Consequently no one has results indicating that they have Levantine origins. My Origins does have a Levantine component (western Middle East)
Old 27th November 2017, 09:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
This poses a problem for Jews. There is no Levantine sample in Ancient Origins, although the research on which it is based did have such a sample. Consequently no one has results indicating that they have Levantine origins. My Origins does have a Levantine component (western Middle East)
To elaborate, the basic research identified three independent Neolithic 'Farmer' locations, Asia Minor, Natufia (Levant) and Iran. Ancient Origins used only the Asia Minor sample since it had the greatest impact on Europe (except for Jews). Any one of the three samples could be called 'Farmer'. To confuse matters, the Iranian lines had some impact on 'Metal'