Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 13th November 2016, 11:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

I've seen that the main component among people from India and South/Central Asia in general, seems to be this Metal Age Invader category. I've been reading some results posted by people from that part of the world and that's what it looks like.
Old 14th November 2016, 01:32 AM
FTDNA Customer

My Origins: 100% East Asian (Southeast Asian)
Ancient Origins: 5% Metal Age Invader, 95% Non-European

Any explanation on the difference?
Old 14th November 2016, 04:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Mixed Germanic 100% European

13% Metal Age Invader
41% Farmer
46% Hunter-Gatherer
0% Non-European
Old 14th November 2016, 10:08 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
Here's FTDNA's description for Metal Age Invader.

"Following the Neolithic Era (New Stone Age), the Bronze Age (3,000–1,000 BCE) is defined by a further iteration in tool making technology. Improving on the stone tools from the Paleolithic and Neolithic Eras, tool makers of the early Bronze Age relied heavily on the use of copper tools, incorporating other metals such as bronze and tin later in the era. The third major wave of migration into the European continent is comprised of peoples from this Bronze Age; specifically, Nomadic herding cultures from the Eurasian steppes found north of the Black Sea. These migrants were closely related to the people of the Black Sea region known as the Yamnaya.

This migration of Asian Steppe nomads into the temperate regions further west changed culture and life on the European continent in a multitude of ways. Not only did the people of the Yamnaya culture bring their domesticated horses, wheeled vehicles, and metal tools; they are also credited for delivering changes to the social and genetic makeup of the region. By 2,800 BCE, evidence of new Bronze Age cultures, such as the Bell Beaker and Corded Ware, were emerging throughout much of Western and Central Europe. In the East around the Urals, a group referred to as the Sintashta emerged, expanding east of the Caspian Sea bringing with them chariots and trained horses around 4,000 years ago.

These new cultures formed through admixture between the local European farming cultures and the newly arrived Yamnaya peoples. Research into the influence the Yamnaya culture had on the European continent has also challenged previously held linguistic theories of the origins of Indo-European language. Previous paradigms argued that the Indo-European languages originated from populations from Anatolia; however, present research into the Yamnaya cultures has caused a paradigm shift and linguists now claim the Indo-European languages are rooted with the Yamnaya peoples.

By the Bronze Age, the Y-chromosome haplogroup R1b was quickly gaining dominance in Western Europe (as we see today) with high frequencies of individuals belonging to the M269 subclade. Ancient DNA evidence supports the hypothesis that the R1b was introduced into mainland Europe by the Asian Steppe invaders coming from the Black Sea region. Further DNA evidence suggests that a lactose tolerance originated from the Yamnaya or another closely tied steppe group. Current day populations in Northern Europe typically show a higher frequency of relatedness to Yamnaya populations, as well as earlier populations of Western European Hunter-Gatherer societies."
Note that the Gedrosia Near Eastern Neolithic Admixture program also points a significant steppe contribution for Italians as well as Jews. The component is labelled Caucasian HunTer-East European Farmer. However as I noted in the Jewish and italian My Origins Project, This group followed the Kurgan route from the steppes to Italy as well as many other parts of Europe.
Old 14th November 2016, 12:10 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
Note that the Gedrosia Near Eastern Neolithic Admixture program also points a significant steppe contribution for Italians as well as Jews. The component is labelled Caucasian HunTer-East European Farmer. However as I noted in the Jewish and italian My Origins Project, This group followed the Kurgan route from the steppes to Italy as well as many other parts of Europe.
Gedrosia and ancient Origins are consistent. The Metal component appears to have begun in the Caucasus. Jews might have a higher rate of Metal than Italians. Metal probably peaks in Eastern Europe including Russia.
Old 14th November 2016, 12:15 PM
FTDNA Customer

They have the "metal age invader" component coming out of Georgia in their map. It is clear they are associating it with CHG. That's why South Asians, Near Easterners and Southern Italians are getting the highest Yamnaya scores! Fortunately, on Gedmatch one can see the results of Hunter Gatherers, Neolithic and Yamnaya samples and make up the conclusions on his own.

Last edited by Piquerobi; 14th November 2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 14th November 2016, 12:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

A better way to calculate it would be to sum the Gedrosia and North European Dodecad Oracle k12b results (which one can get at Gedmatch). Gedrosia was absent in Neolithic Europeans. The North European component was present though at a lower degree (due to Hunter Gatherer ancestry): the Neolithic Irish woman (Kit M427312), for example, scored ~ 13 North European, and yet Modern Britons are between ~ 40 to 45 North European, hence that difference came via Yamnaya. On Dodecad k12b Yamnaya is mainly North European with minor Gedrosia.

Dodecad Oracle k12b results of the Yamnaya sample from Sok River:

Quote:
Kit M020637 (Yamnaya_Sok_River I0443
Admix Results (sorted):

# Population Percent
1 North_European 60.8
2 Gedrosia 27.41

3 Atlantic_Med 5.95
4 Caucasus 2.92
5 Siberian 2.73
6 Sub_Saharan 0.18
Old 14th November 2016, 12:54 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piquerobi View Post
A better way to calculate it would be to sum the Gedrosia and North European Dodecad Oracle k12b results (which one can get at Gedmatch). Gedrosia was absent in Neolithic Europeans. The North European component was present though at a lower degree (due to Hunter Gatherer ancestry): the Neolithic Irish woman (Kit M427312), for example, scored ~ 13 North European, and yet Modern Britons are between ~ 40 to 45 North European, hence that difference came via Yamnaya. On Dodecad k12b Yamnaya is mainly North European with minor Gedrosia.

Dodecad Oracle k12b results of the Yamnaya sample from Sok River:
What you say makes sense, except for one minor correction. I think you're right, given the geography, that Gedrosia is correlated with Yamnaya or is perhaps the at least partial source of Yamnaya ancestry.

However, it's misleading to say that North European is a sign of Yamnaya ancestry. That implies the opposite of the migration. In other words, the Bronze Age Yamnaya moved west through Europe and is the source of much of northern European modern DNA. I'm sure that's what you're saying too, but your statement, above, which I've bolded can be misinterpreted to mean the opposite.
Old 14th November 2016, 12:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaddi View Post
However, it's misleading to say that North European is a sign of Yamnaya ancestry. That implies the opposite of the migration. In other words, the Bronze Age Yamnaya moved west through Europe and is the source of much of northern European modern DNA. I'm sure that's what you're saying too, but your statement, above, which I've bolded can be misinterpreted to mean the opposite.
You are perfectly right. By North European I meant not North Europeans but the Dodecad k12b component "North European". Hunter gatherer would fit too I guess.

Last edited by Piquerobi; 14th November 2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 14th November 2016, 01:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

Andalusian (south of the Iberian Peninsula).
Attached Images
File Type: png Andalusian.PNG (83.0 KB, 40 views)