Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 1st September 2017, 11:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keisar View Post
Greetings.
I joined the forum looking for an answer for the very same questions that created this thread. My recent results included 14% middle eastern, with an 8% anatolian and a 4% north African. I am of hispanic ancestry and my Y-DNA is R1B (R-M269).
My curiosity about the Anatolian part concerns a "window of time". Is my 8% from the hunter-gatherer period? Hittite? Lydian? Bithynian? Carian? Greek? Turkish? a combination of all?
Reading the posts I see that the question remains unanswered.
I am completely new to the genealogical DNA world and my knowledge is so far very limited.
Ceasar
I am also Hispanic with 12% Middle Eastern (Asia Minor). I have not taken a Y-DNA test, but I have a first cousin (once removed) who has, and he is J-M267.

His "father's, father's, father's.... line" goes back to my maternal 7th great grandfather, so I'm assuming the Middle Eastern in us comes, in part, from that ancestor. But I have no Sephardic in my results, and I don't think my cousin has any either (although we have a lot of Spanish surnames in our genealogies that were supposedly associated Jewish/Converso colonists that came to the New World fleeing the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 2nd September 2017, 12:10 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomero View Post
I am also Hispanic with 12% Middle Eastern (Asia Minor). [...] But I have no Sephardic in my results, and I don't think my cousin has any either (although we have a lot of Spanish surnames in our genealogies that were supposedly associated Jewish/Converso colonists that came to the New World fleeing the Spanish Inquisition.
You may still have a small amount of Sephardic DNA, even though you don't score any in this company's Sephardi or Ashkenazi reference populations. The lower reaches of your Family Finder match list could provide clues.

Jewish DNA segments have been found in some Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Dominicans, Panamanians, Costa Ricans, Colombians, Ecuadorians, and elsewhere in the Spanish Americas. What kind of Hispanic are you?
Old 2nd September 2017, 02:48 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazaria View Post
You may still have a small amount of Sephardic DNA, even though you don't score any in this company's Sephardi or Ashkenazi reference populations. The lower reaches of your Family Finder match list could provide clues.

Jewish DNA segments have been found in some Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Dominicans, Panamanians, Costa Ricans, Colombians, Ecuadorians, and elsewhere in the Spanish Americas. What kind of Hispanic are you?
I'm a New Mexico Hispano. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanos_of_New_Mexico
The leader of the expedition into New Mexico (1598) was Juan de Onate, and his mother was from a Jewish family in Spain. There were single soldiers that came with him, but there were also some families with him that came from Spain, as well as from Mexico, and it is speculated that some of these soldiers and especially the families were Conversos/Sephardic Jews.

The New Mexico colony was relatively isolated from the rest of New Spain, so the soldiers married and inter-married into the families that came with Onate, or married Native Pueblo women. As a result, most New Mexico Hispanos that can trace their ancestry to 1598 have common ancestors.

My 7th great grandfather that I mentioned in my original post did not come in 1598. His son came to New Mexico from Mexico City in 1693, during the reconquest of New Mexico, after the Pueblo People revolted in 1680 and drove out the Spanish.

Last edited by Tomero; 2nd September 2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old 2nd September 2017, 03:32 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
I'm a New Mexico Hispano. [...] The leader of the expedition into New Mexico (1598) was Juan de Onate, and his mother was from a Jewish family in Spain. There were single soldiers that came with him, but there were also some families with him that came from Spain, as well as from Mexico, and it is speculated that some of these soldiers and especially the families were Conversos/Sephardic Jews.
I've found Jewish DNA segments in some Hispanos from New Mexico and Colorado. This has turned it from speculation to fact.

Quote:
The New Mexico colony was relatively isolated from the rest of New Spain, so the soldiers married and inter-married into the families that came with Onate, or married Native Pueblo women. As a result, most New Mexico Hispanos that can trace their ancestry to 1598 have common ancestors.
Indeed, I've seen Hispanos form a matching cluster of their own, with less connections to northeastern Mexico and south Texas Hispanics than I had been expecting. They became two distinct endogamous clusters, to a large extent.
Old 2nd September 2017, 12:49 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaddi View Post
However, it is the case that FTDNA has explained in public presentations that they've designed myOrigins to pick up ancient ancestry, on the order of 1,000 to several thousand years ago. 23andMe, on the other hand, designed their Ancestry Composition feature to hone in on the last 500 years of ancestry. That's one reason why 23andMe's admixture estimates more accurately reflect the paper trail ancestry of their customers.

Given that those with Italian ancestry are consistently given significantly higher percentages of Asia Minor than those with northern European ancestry, this probably reflects the strong genetic influence in Italy from the Neolithic to as recently as 1,000 years ago from Middle Eastern populations, including from Asia Minor. So, it's certainly plausible that the percentages of Asia Minor given my myOrigins does reflect someone's ancestry, but very deep ancestry. Still, it is a problem that it's misleading to people who take it at face value and begin looking for mystery Middle Eastern ancestry in their tree.
I'm just revisiting this thread, and the fact that FTDNA has designed myOrigins for ancient ancestry does not make sense to me. Many people do commercial genealogical DNA tests to find relatives, with hopes of breaking down brick walls and finding out more about their ancestors. With autosomal testing, I've seen estimates that it can be used to show familial connections back 250-500 years. What could be the reasoning for designing the ethnicity estimates in myOrigins to pick up 1,000 year old ancestry? Few people can find records to match that timeframe.

It's apparent that most people want, and expect, to see estimates which reflect their ethnicities for a genealogical timeframe. FTDNA already has "ancientOrigins" for the 1,000+ year timeframe, so of what use is a similar timeframe to genealogists who are trying to prove (or ascertain) their more recent ancestral ethnicities? Obviously showing 1,000 year ancestral origins in myOrigins has created a lot of discrepancies with testers' known ancestries. IMHO, FTDNA should seriously consider calculating future versions of myOrigins to more closely show the last 500 years, as 23andMe (and probably Ancestry.com) does. It would be beneficial to their bottom line.

Getting back to the topic of Asia Minor DNA, my maternal branch has its roots in Greece (Ionian Islands and Peloponnese), and Malta. So far, I have found records going back to the late 1700's, early 1800's for the Maltese branches, but records have not been so forthcoming for the Peloponnese as yet; I do know where they lived since the 1820's, though, and have leads to prior origins from the same region. In this maternal branch, the two eldest descendants still living, A and B, have tested (full siblings, whose parents are from those regions). These are their results:

myOrigins 1.0
European
- Southern Europe: A 63%; B 55%
Jewish Diaspora
- Ashkenazi : A 0%; B 8%
Middle Eastern
- Asia Minor: A 34%; B 33% .
- Eastern Middle East: A 0%; B 2%
- North Africa: A 3%; B 2%

myOrigins 2.0
European
- Western & Central Europe: A <2% (trace); B 11%
- Southeast Europe: A 80%; B 51%
Jewish Diaspora
- Ashkenazi: A <2% (trace); B 3%
- Sephardic: A 0%; B 17%
Middle Eastern
- Asia Minor: A <2% (trace); B 11.00%
- Eastern Middle East: A <2% (trace); B 0%
- North Africa: A <2% (trace); B 2%
- West Middle East: A 13%; B 4%
African
- West Africa: both <2% (trace)

ancientOrigins
Metal Age: A 17%; B 18%
Farmer: A 62%; B 62%
Hunter-Gatherer: A 19%; B 18%
Non-European: A 3%; B 2%

Neither have shown any matches that are identifiably Ashkenazi, Sephardic or otherwise Jewish, so I think those percentages may be misidentified. The North Africa amounts I believe can be attributed to traces in the Maltese branch. Both get matches of Maltese and Greek descent, some of which actually live in Greece.
Old 5th October 2017, 08:03 AM
FTDNA Customer

I used to have some Asia Minor in My Origins 1. With the update it vanished.
Now I got my parents tested, and they both have some of it (8% and 5%).