Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Old 2nd October 2012, 08:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

Could be smoke; is there a fire?

I have 10 matches at 67 markers: 1 at GD4, 4 at GD5, 4 at GD6 and 1 at GD7.

Only 5 matches have Gedcoms to follow, and only two will communicate, including the GD4.

However, of the remaining 9 matches, three are of the same Surname (2 at GD6 and one GD7.) One of those GD6 communicates, and in fact we are meeting up next weekend to compare notes.

Because my G GF b1831 was NPE, any surname fits (so to speak). All I can be sure of is that he was born in the UK and migrated to Australia. Most of my matches have American backgrounds into the 1700s, and vague or no ideas about English ancestry - although the GD4 has known English ancestry albeit 100s of miles away from my G GF village.

Could be smoke; is there a fire? I'd like to hear from anyone with a thought about the fact that 3 of 10 matches have the same Surname. Is this smoke? And if I can find no common English background, will FF (for them) perhaps highlight a connection on the direct paternal side? At least I know that Y-DNA is paternal. How sure would I be that any FF result is paternal?

My GD6 match (meet up this weekend) has R1b1a2a1a1b3c L2 as do I. TIP shows we are at about 87% for 16 generations.

Comments invited.

Thanks, Colin
Old 13th October 2012, 07:47 AM
Junior Moderator

This is just my opinion, but at those distances, two at 61/67 and one at 60/67, I think you're looking at relationships that predate the advent of surnames. Those three with the same surname probably match each other more closely than they do you. They are related to you, but the common y-dna ancestor you all share probably lived 600-900 years ago.
Old 13th October 2012, 09:38 AM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

I agree with Stevo's assessment. With GDs of from 4-7, you're looking at a common ancestor 500-900 years ago. The one with GD of 4 may be 500 years or even slightly more recent.
Old 13th October 2012, 12:02 PM
AuntyDud

I just wanted to stick my oar in here and say -- this is precisely the kind of situation I was talking about in my thread about how to encourage people outside the US to join surname projects.

One of the examples I gave was someone with known UK ancestry and an NPE, looking to determine the paternal surname. Because of the volume of members of surname projects who are in the US and have UK origins, there may be good odds for a match in the US, depending on how common the name is and what the emigration patterns were and so on.

The obvious benefit to US testees is that this kind of match may give them a direction to look at for their UK origin. And for the person with the NPE in the UK, they may get a direction to look at for their surname.

In your case, Mudgeeclarke, you have at least a glimmer in that direction so far -- although it's quite impolite of your match to actually know the UK origin and have it be so far from your own.

I have a similar situation. I'm looking to confirm a surname for a family with roots in a particular English county, and a possible NPE in the mid-1800s. There is a project for that surname with hundreds of members, almost all in the US without a known English point of origin. And my testee has come up with a match in the US, all right, of just exactly the sort I had predicted: indeed from the same English county and in fact within only 10 or so miles at a couple of times, and emigrated in connection with the economic activity that prevailed in the place of origin and the place of emigration ... but the match has my testee's great-grandfather's mother's surname. So, while I don't yet have a handle on genetic distance and all that, it looks like the odds are that the common ancestor is pre-surname for us as well.

We need more UK-pedigreed people in the projects!