• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gatty
    FTDNA Customer
    • May 2007

Scandinavian matches with my father and I

Using my father's Family finder . All reckoned to be 3rd to 5th.

Hegreberg 55-13 276 in common
    Iversen 49-16 279 in common
    Samuelsson 47-15 299 in common
    Olsson 45-14 26 in common
    Hansen 42-13 222 in common

I can form a matrix with Hansen,Hegreberg, Iversen and Samuelsson.
    and with Olsson,Iversen,Hansen,and Samuelsson.
  • gatty
    FTDNA Customer
    • May 2007

Further to this.

Iversen 3-5th 313
    Samuelsson 3-5 356
    Hansen 3-5 244
    Hegreberg 3-5 291
    Solberg 4-remote 299
    Smehagen 5-remote 241
    Hustadnes 3-5 310

Comment

• jimbirk
      FTDNA Customer
      • Apr 2017

Is there a question, comment or insight here ?

If you have hundreds of people in common you have a huge pileup (Identical By Population) and a waste of time looking at for small matches.

Comment

• mollyblum
        FTDNA Customer
        • Mar 2012

?????

Is there a question?

What is the point of this thread?

Are you asking if you are Scandinavian?

Comment

• gatty
          FTDNA Customer
          • May 2007

I am wondering with the high amount of in common whether it is something I should take seriously.

Comment

• spruithean
            FTDNA Customer
            • Dec 2008

Does your family tree point to any Scandinavian ancestors?

Comment

• gatty
              FTDNA Customer
              • May 2007

There is only one known line(I only know fully up to 3gt), the Fletts, that may have come from Norway in the mists of time- Norway ?-Orkneys - Banffshire.

My origins gives me 6% .Updated Ancestry none. 23andMe 4.8%. My heritage paid 11.4%.
              Last edited by gatty; 4 August 2018, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• spruithean
                FTDNA Customer
                • Dec 2008

Well the surname Flett is a rather Orcadian surname, coming from either one of two Norse words flötr or fljótr. Orkney & Shetland were both under Norwegian control in the 14th century with an increase in Scottish influence in Orkney around this time, patronymics were also used for quite some time in the Northern Isles as well as a now extinct language known as "Norn" was spoken in the Northern Isles, it was an Insular Scandinavian language.

How recent is your Flett ancestry?

Comment

• gatty
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • May 2007

Mary Flett - 6th great grandmother born c1765 .

Comment

• mollyblum
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Mar 2012

I am confused. If you only know one line up to 3 generations (that is what 3gts meant right??) then how do you know she is your 6th great grandmother?

But if you only know three or four generations back you could still have Scandinavian Ancestry on a couple of lines far back to account for 3-6%. I do think it is odd that they are in common with so many people. Have you checked to make sure the feature is actually working properly? Try on someone you know it will only list a few people. I say this bc it did this to me before but was broken & was doing this with every person I selected.

I have a significant % of Scandinavian Ancestry from my Father’s side & I don’t get those kind of in common results. Even on very distant Scandinavian cousins I still only get a few “in common.” But I still say that doesn’t rule out distant Scandinavian Ancestry.

Comment

• gatty
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • May 2007

I mean I can trace all 32 of my 3gt grandparents but after that it gets very patchy. Having said that my maternal side especially my mother's maternal side is less patchy.

As far as I can tell the feature is working ok but I'm not very good at telling. I tried one match that would only have a few in common and that's still true.

It does surprise me that so many of these Scandinavian matches have so many in common.

Comment

• jimbirk
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Apr 2017

An ancestor with the surname Flett from the Orkneys is the answer. The Orkneys are known for consanguinity and are an endogamous population.

Having DNA from an endogamous population makes DNA relationships look closer than they are and gives large numbers of DNA matches that show as pileups (IBP) in a chromosome browser.

You could be related to these matches from 6 to 20 generations back.

Comment

• gatty
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by jimbirk View Post
                          An ancestor with the surname Flett from the Orkneys is the answer. The Orkneys are known for consanguinity and are an endogamous population.

Having DNA from an endogamous population makes DNA relationships look closer than they are and gives large numbers of DNA matches that show as pileups (IBP) in a chromosome browser.

You could be related to these matches from 6 to 20 generations back.
                          I am not doubting your info on the Orkneys but this falls on the basis that the Flett ancestry is on my maternal side, and these happen to be matches on my paternal side.

Comment

Working...
                          X