Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > Adoptees Forum

Adoptees Forum This is a forum for adoptees and descendants of adoptees to share their research experiences and exchange information as well as tips. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 30th July 2018, 09:20 AM
FTDNA Customer

Question Does surname in Y-DNA 67 matches indicate father's surname

Hello,
New to this forum and genetic genealogy but not traditional research. I am helping a friend find his biological father. His Y-DNA 67 test came back with 3 matches, all with the same surname. Apologies if the answer to this is obvious but need to ask! Does this indicate that there is a likelihood that this surname is the biological father's surname.
Thank you all for your help.
Carol
Old 30th July 2018, 09:35 AM
FTDNA Customer

There is a likelihood, but not certainty. Sometimes the close matches turn out all to have the same surname (or a spelling variant), at other times they bear many different surnames (suggesting that the STR signature predates the era when stable surnames became fashionable). "Likelihood" is a very apt word for this situation. With only 3 matches, the sample size is still very small. The Y DNA evidence gives you clues, and perhaps a direction for further research, but not proof.
Old 30th July 2018, 03:05 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

What is the genetic distance of the matches?
Old 30th July 2018, 07:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
Yes, the surname of the matches may indicate the name of the paternal line.

It most often does, so the paper trail should be examined, and the autosomal test should be taken by your friend.

Let me share with you an example of my uncle, to indicate that it is not always straightforward. His 54 matches at 67 markers are most likely from other branches, and the separation happened more than 1600 years ago. At least Big Y tells us that for those who took that test (and we extend that to those who share their last names). For the remaining ones, we can see no relationship in the last 300 years.

Additionally, contrary to a popular opinion, men kept changing their surnames, even to the family name of their brides. It was not a common process, but it was not an exceptional one either. Consequently, there is a small chance that the name you are seeing among the matches is not the surname that is being sought.

Good luck!

Mr. W.
Old 5th August 2018, 01:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

Angry Genetic Distance info

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
Thank you to all who replied.
To answer your question, there are three matches - I'll call them A, B, and C. At 12 markers, matches A & B are 0 genetic distance and match C is not listed.
At 25 markers, A and B are GD 1 and C is GD 2.
At 37 markers, A and B are GD 1 and C is GD 3.
At 67 markers, A is GD 2, B is GD 3, and C is GD 4.
Thanks for any help in deciphering. My friend has done Ancestry and 23andMe DNA tests and his one close match is also adopted
Old 5th August 2018, 06:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBokas View Post
Thank you to all who replied.
To answer your question, there are three matches - I'll call them A, B, and C. At 12 markers, matches A & B are 0 genetic distance and match C is not listed.
At 25 markers, A and B are GD 1 and C is GD 2.
At 37 markers, A and B are GD 1 and C is GD 3.
At 67 markers, A is GD 2, B is GD 3, and C is GD 4.
Thanks for any help in deciphering. My friend has done Ancestry and 23andMe DNA tests and his one close match is also adopted
It would be hard to say if this is the father's surname or not. BUT, I would definitely keep that surname in mind when using the data from the autosomal matches. Hopefully your friend gets more closer matches and you can then start formulating a theoretical tree for them and the puzzle pieces might start coming together.