Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics This is an area for those who are new to DNA testing for genealogy can ask about Y-DNA STR based tests and their test results. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 29th July 2018, 09:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

Comparing FTDNA & Ancestry Y DNA results

What should I look for in comparing FTDNA Y DNA results with Ancestryís Y DNA results?

My Y-DNA37 results werenít very helpful. There are four earliest known ancestors at 37 markers, but all are at a distance of four, and there are no common surnames. However surnames arenít necessarily meaningful because there is evidence that my paternal grandfather wasnít really my fatherís father, and a question has arisen just recently about my own fatherís paternity (he was born in 1915 and is deceased).

A g-g-g-grandson of my g-g-grandfather did an Ancestry Y DNA test when Ancestry was doing them. Iím thinking that comparing his results with mine might be a good place to start, if heís willing to share (he keeps his genealogy tree on Ancestry private). Does this seem like a sensible place to start? (Iím just starting to learn about DNA). If so, what should I ask him to share with me, and what should I be looking for? Iíll of course offer to share my results with him.

Iíll appreciate any guidance. Iím still pretty new to this.
Old 29th July 2018, 10:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

Yes it would be worth checking out, just keep in mind you will need to convert some of the Ancestry markers. See:
http://dgmweb.net/DNA/General/ADNA_FTDNA.html
Old 31st July 2018, 09:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks. That looks like it should help. I'll ask him about exchanging our Y DNA results. Hopefully he'll agree. If he does, I'm sure I'll be back here for guidance. I've been really busy with work and haven't had time to delve into learning DNA the way I need to, but I'm desperate for answers to these questions about my grandfather and grandfather.
Old 1st August 2018, 07:44 AM
R-BY39877

The man with Ancestry's Y-DNA results can transfer it to FTDNA. See https://www.familytreedna.com/landin...-transfer.aspx
Old 1st August 2018, 06:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
The man with Ancestry's Y-DNA results can transfer it to FTDNA. See https://www.familytreedna.com/landin...-transfer.aspx
Thanks for the suggestion. It makes sense. I'll mention it to him.
Old 3rd August 2018, 12:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Several years ago I compared my YDNA test to Ancestry and found a man with the same surname. I think our common ancestor was my 5th or 6th great-grandfather. We were Facebook friends for a while. His son is a musician and I think I have one of his CDs.