• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charleslow
    FTDNA Customer
    • Sep 2009

Who all has successful Matches

I believe there is a very,very, small percent of people that have had any success at finding any cousins with their Family Finder Matches. If this is the case then I believe something is not working properly. I would like to see a section relating to all the Cousins that have been located and how far back they had to go to connect to these Matches in relation to what distance was shown on their Family Finder Cousin Match. Lets get this working the way it was meant to be. For example if it says our match should be at 5th cousin, should we be looking at 10 etc. etc.
  • charleslow
    FTDNA Customer
    • Sep 2009

Who all has successful Matches

I believe there is a very,very, small percent of people that have had any success at finding any cousins with their Family Finder Matches. If this is the case then I believe something is not working properly. I would like to see a section relating to all the Cousins that have been located and how far back they had to go to connect to these Matches in relation to what distance was shown on their Family Finder Cousin Match. Lets get this working the way it was meant to be. For example if it says our match should be at 5th cousin, should we be looking at 10 etc. etc.

Comment

• mkdexter
      FTDNA Customer
      • Dec 2009

it actually says "5th to distant". It is normal to have shared DNA with a 5th, 6th, 7th, (or even farther back) cousin and Family Finder predicts it as a 5th to distant relation.

I have a "5th to distant" predicted who ends up being a 6th cousin once removed.

Comment

• EdwardRHill
        • Jan 2010

I have found one 3rd cousin and its backed up with a paper trail. I have found other matches with distant cousins but only one had a decent paper trail. I believe if I wanted I could have made another connection but I don't know if my match would except what I found so I gave up. I have found that most people don't want to bother with distant cousin and I now see why. Past the 7th generations and the paper trail gets harder to find. So I am focusing on filling in my tree from 7th generation up to present day hoping I'll find more common ancestors. Distant cousin for now are on the back burner.

Comment

• darroll
          • Jun 2006

Yes,
          We have matches on FF.
          Some don't bother to show their tree, so I loose interest.
          I mainly use FF to verify our family tree.
          I already exchanged e-mail with new cousins and am not impressed.
          One girl wanted me to pay for her car repairs and another sent me a nude picture. Nice folks.

Comment

• gtc
            FTDNA Customer
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by charleslow View Post
            I believe there is a very,very, small percent of people that have had any success at finding any cousins with their Family Finder Matches. If this is the case then I believe something is not working properly.
            A database size of how many individual records would you consider adequate to support your belief that FF is not working properly?

Comment

• JPHutchins
              FTDNA Customer
              • Jan 2010

I located a 3rd cousin with MRCA back in the mid 1700's. We have not been able to determine the exact relative. We have located the same surname, same town within a 15 year time frame, but our paper trail has not been able to pinpoint it. We would have never found each other without FF.

Comment

• Zaru
                FTDNA Customer
                • Jun 2007

Perhaps the funniest quote ever at FTDNA.

You may get what you asked for:

Originally posted by darroll View Post
                Yes,
                We have matches on FF.
                One girl wanted me to pay for her car repairs and another sent me a nude picture. Nice folks.

Comment

• Peacock100
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • May 2010

Have 70 matches, 9 close. Localized MRCA for 5, 4 of the close and 1 distant.

Comment

• EdwardRHill
                    • Jan 2010

Darroll that was funny and scary at the same time. I have had two matches think I was going to do their research for them. One close match I made contact with told me she would get back to me in two or three days after taking care of some family business but before she finished the e-mail she asked if I was related to a family I had been research for 10 years which got me very excited because it one i have been stuck on for years. I sent her a invite to my tree and a few days go bye so I e-mail her and nothing. For nine months I keep trying and the last e-mail I was going to do, I left my phone number. What you know she called me and the hole 2 hours the information was from me to her. When she share something it was about a pushy guy who had been e-mailing her for nine months oopppps (ME ). I send her a invite again and she takes the time to point out what she thinks are mistakes. Having relatives is so much fun.

Comment

• smallaxe
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Apr 2010

I've had 4 dna cousins where we've been able to locate common ancestors. The first one went back to a common ancestor couple I had as tentative because the common ancestors were the grandparents of a woman (my ggg grandmother) that some people showed with one surname, and other people showed as a different surname. Apparently the husband had two wives at different times, but both had the same first name of Cynthia, and my ancestor was born in the time when there was not agreement among researchers of which of the two he was married to. Of the two, the evidence leaned towards the one with the surname of the dna match ancestor. Getting the dna match was great corroborating evidence. A couple months later, I got another cousin, but this time the match was the parents of the woman Cynthia instead of her grandparents...further confirmation. Trading emails with this second person, I was able to give them some information on this shared family that they did not have already.

The third match showed as 4th cousin, but was more like 9th, unless there is a closer ancestor we are unaware of. But it's not surprising the common ancestor is further back than predicted, because the family comes from an area in Europe where there were many cousin marriages - the families being very interrelated, and it's likely we are related multiple ways, although all distant.

The fourth match we found the common ancestors as a couple that are tentative in their genealogy because two generations down from the common ancestor in their genealogy there is a documentation gap. Many in their family suspect that the tentative assertion is correct, but the documentation is not conclusive. The fact that we had a dna match, and that the tentative assertion is the only common point in our trees lends more weight for them that the suspected ancestry is correct.

There is also something that the dna test answered that is because of who I didn't match. One of my grandparents is from eastern Europe, and we know very little of his family there. When one of his daughters (my aunt) was discovered to carry Tay Sachs, she suspected that there was some Jewish ancestry from him. But if you have Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry, you tend to get a very large number of matches. I did not, and I have not found any dna cousins that have Ashkenazi, so the test pretty much dispelled that possibility.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the results. It's not a silver bullet, but it is a helpful tool in conjunction with old fashioned genealogical research.

Comment

• nolnacsj
                        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by darroll View Post
                        Yes,
                        We have matches on FF.
                        I was very surprised to see this! Has anyone else had this type of response from a relative match? Hopefully Darroll, you got the only 2 outliers of that type....

Comment

• smallaxe
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Apr 2010

Definitely not. Very bizarre.

Comment

• westpa
                            • Oct 2009

yes, it works

Out of 30 matches to my dad's account, I've found 2 with confirmed paper trail connections. A 4th cousin and an 8th cousin. But I haven't yet reached out to all of the matches, so I may yet find more. These are much better stats than the 300+ matches I have on 23andMe and only 1 confirmed cousin...

Comment

• darroll
                              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by nolnacsj View Post
                              I was very surprised to see this! Has anyone else had this type of response from a relative match? Hopefully Darroll, you got the only 2 outliers of that type....
                              To give a hint, both of these girls come from a state south of Oregon.
                              One thought we are loaded with money and the other asked me what my religion was. I told her Baptist, then the picture of her butterfly. Maybe she thought that I was going to turn me green. What would any guy do?
                              Ha Ha
                              It's been a real experience.
                              Yes FF works

Comment

Working...
                              X