Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Advanced Topics

mtDNA - Advanced Topics Users can exchange advanced information here on mtDNA testing, results, and questions. You must register and sign in to view or post in this forum.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th August 2006, 06:34 PM

Is U5 Anglo and K Saxon?

Many nations have more than one haplogroup dwelling in their land,usually groups associated with them. So my question is are there other haplogroups affiliated with Germany besides MtK? Of course I think there are, but no one comes out and says so. For instance I noticed that many people in FamilyTree's German Group have the DNA haplogroup MtU. MtU5 is most common in the Sweden and Scandanavian regions-so I'm thinking maybe they are the Angles of old Angle-Saxon lore.Maybe MtK are the Saxons.
Now what if MtK isn't from Germany? Where are they from then? I know they don't all live there now,but they do live in other lands occupied by Europeans like Australia.
I'll simplify.The head of FamilyT. told me that MtK is from the German/Austria area.But I don't see any evidence of that-of course MtK is a very reticent bunch and they don't say where they came from or where they are now,and how. Are the U's I see in Germany some of the Germanic peoples that are similar to MtK or are they foreigners that live in Germany??